Sign in to follow this  

I almost got SHOT on the trail!!!!

I live a pretty routine life with no excitement until today. I went riding alone on new new trails that a fellow TT member turned me on to.

These were the most beautiful trails i was ever seen. I got about 3 miles deep and i came across a red headed guy...he had a green jacket, yellow crooked teeth.

He waves as a ride slowly past him. Then i stall it about 20 feet away going up hill. I turn around and he's walking towards me. at first he was pretty nice and friendly. the whole time i was calm, didnt raise my voice or act in any threatening way what so ever.

Silver: Hey how's it going?

RedHead: Fine. Pretty muddy today?

Silver: Yeah, but its not too bad. Are you just hiking around today?

RedHead: Trappin'.

Silver: What for?

ReadHead: [grin] Anything.

<<i shouldnt have said this, because as soon as i did, he snapped...>>

Silver: Yeah i was thinking this is a great place to go 'coon huntin'

ReadHead: Are you related to the people on top of the hill up there?

Silver: No, i just found these trails and was checking them out.

ReadHead: WELL THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY AND YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE.

<<another one of my mistakes>>

Silver: Well OK i didnt see any private property signs. i am sorry.

ReadHead: Well there all over the place, in fact i got my pistol right over there. i'll take your bike, and you'll never see it again!

Silver: I'm sorry i'm leaving.

at this point he lunged at me and hit me 2 or 3 times in the helmet. and was yelling at me to get out. i begin turning the bike around. then he bends down and grabs a log about 6" diameter and hits my rear fender as i'm going down hill. he takes another swing or two before i can get out.

fortunately for me i put it in Neutral when i stalled. also fortunately this was on an incline and i was able to roll start instead of having to kick and kick the XR4oo. i was also lucky that i was able to stay on the bike and get it turned around very quickly. if i had been knocked down off the bike i would certainly be forced to defend myself.

now this guy was about 5'10" to 6' and about 160-170lbs. and i am about 6'1" and 260 lbs. and i had on my helmet, googles, boots and gloves. i think i probably could have taken him, but i had a feeling that the winner of the fight would the only one to walk away. plus there is no telling if he had buddies around or opossum eating kin fold in the woods nearby. he might have had a pistol, and might have used it, but i didnt want to find out.

the real scary part was the fact that i almost didnt get out of the valley and sunset has coming FAST. i had ridden down a very steep hillside that didnt have an established trail. it was rocky, muddy (rained all day yesterday), had logs and stair step ledges etc...of course i only have about 15% of the knobbies left on my tire, so i could not get any traction. i was able to ride and push about 10 feet at a time. before getting stuck or stalling. twice i had turned the gas off after dumping the bike and forgot to turn it back on, then stalled out. it took me about an hour to get up this hill. the whole time of course i was sure this guy was on his way with his gun and redneck buddies to make sure i was gone. fortunately i never saw him!

as i was leaving it occurred to me that this area of missouri is the #1 meth producing part in the US. he was probably cooking some meth out there and was strung out. from what people have told me, there is definately no logical way to deal with these people, and you definately dont want to fight someone who is on meth.

on the drive home i saw a state trooper and told him what happened. he took down the info and said he would go over there are check things out. if this guy is found, the most he could be charged with is 3rd degree assult (unless there are meth related charges). and even if i was tresspassing, there were no signs, pretty much nothing could happen to me. but he said more than likely he wouldnt be able to find this guy.

i hope for my sake, and especially his, that i dont see him at WalMart!

Damn. Scary situation. Glad it didn't turn out worse.

Next time, take a buddy with you. I find tough guy/troublemakers are less likely to give you shite if you've got a wingman.

Jim

There is another reason not to ride alone!

I'm glad you made it out OK.

And a possible downside to drugs, the manufactures are paranoid. Funny how many #1 meth producing locations are around the USA. Sad actually.

I'd watch where you ride. If it isn't public property, someone owns it.

There is another reason not to ride alone!

I'm glad you made it out OK.

And a possible downside to drugs, the manufactures are paranoid. Funny how many #1 meth producing locations are around the USA. Sad actually.

I'd watch where you ride. If it isn't public property, someone owns it.

read page 5 ole bub. this is the actually meth lab siezures, current to 2001. i couldnt not find anything more recent. i'd say missourri pretty most produces more meth than any other state...

http://www.csg.org/NR/rdonlyres/e7ikxr65zumtmpwpirtbdyxgcaru5wy7uru2yzfyomiezficwvhl3s6dxtd7dz2bzsip4cpgefqpa65jvpokvb6ajxb/drug+abuse+in+america-rural+meth.pdf

Yeah, I think I'd be a little worried if I met someone on a dirtbike trail in the middle of nowhere. Thats actually pretty messed up... Sounds like one of those urban legends. Too bad you didn't kick your ass though you probably made the right decision.

You did the right thing by getting out of there, and to all of you people who think it is not a good ideal to carry when you ride. Glad to hear you are all right.

You did the right thing by getting out of there, and to all of you people who think it is not a good ideal to carry when you ride. Glad to hear you are all right.

yeah there was a thread about carrying and riding not too long ago. i was thinking about it as i was trying to get the heck out of there. i think i might acutally buy and ruger .22 pistol and get a conceal and carry license...which thankfully missouri allows! :)

yeah there was a thread about carrying and riding not too long ago. i was thinking about it as i was trying to get the heck out of there. i think i might acutally buy and ruger .22 pistol and get a conceal and carry license...which thankfully missouri allows! :)

Not sure a .22 would do much more than piss this hairy ape off!! I carry a .40 with hollow points, that at the VERY least would knock this individual down on his arse....as well as drain him of all his essential bodily fluid.

i sort of have some neighbors like that.. they used to be soo cool. they had a huge gravel driveway that i could ride my gocart on all the time.. but then their lawer told them that i could sew them if i crashed. now that i have my dirtbike, and they have tons of quad trails, i cant go over there. i think they have survalence, cuz they have like 500 acres, but they allways know when your on their land.. both of their 20-25 year old sons allways carry 9 mm pistols with them, theyre not nice no mo..

really sucks. i still got plent of land to ride on but oh well

btw, i would never sew anybody if i crashed on my own, theyre looking to get sewd by cutting down full sized trees across their paths, with out telling anybody :)

Not sure a .22 would do much more than piss this hairy ape off!! I carry a .40 with hollow points, that at the VERY least would knock this individual down on his arse....as well as drain him of all his essential bodily fluid.

yeah but while riding, carrying a 22 pistol and ammo would be a lot easier than a 40 and its ammo. plus i have been wanting ruger 22 for a long time now. and now i have an excuse to get one.

i bet if i emptied the 9 round clip of 22's into him that he wouldn't be doing much after that. not to sound blood thirsty or violent, i really dont ever want to be put in a situation where i am forced to shoot someone.

22's are pretty dangerous in the fact that the bullet fractures and shatters when it hits bone, so it would send shrapnel to all surounding tissues in the vicinity. and i could empty 9 rounds within one second if i had to...

That really sucks dude,Freakin strung out freaks :)

Best thing you coulda done ,ya never know what's behind there fried brain cell..

I know exactly how you felt, very scary situation. I've been in a predicament like that a number of times but thankfully I had a "wingman" in my best friend every time. One time the dude actually tried to start a fight with us, and he wasn't on drugs, but he did have 3-4 people with him. THATS the scary part. 2 on 4.

I wasn't challenging the accuracy of how bad the meth problem is in your area, I just know many areas think the meth problem in their area is #1. There is too much of that drug.

A Ruger MkII .22 pistol is one of the most fun pistols out there, but is a bad self-defense weapon. It is really large and has low firepower. I don't know if all areas will allow a .22 with a concealed weapons permit. Look into a Keltec P-32 or a S&W, or Glock.

IMHO, running is the best thing you could have done.

I wasn't challenging the accuracy of how bad the meth problem is in your area, I just know many areas think the meth problem in their area is #1. There is too much of that drug.

At least its easy to point out though. The smell of a meth lab is SO obvious.

The meth would explain the yellow teeth! I have been thinking of carring my 9mm :) sucks you have to. I use to live in a really bad area( alot of bangers) and carried a barretta 25, I never used, and thats a good thing cause it was hard to hit ANYTHING over 10 feet in front of me with it. I like bigger bores but wouldn't carry my 45colt or 357sw.

you shoulda just smashed his head in with your helmet, and you said u were on a hill so he woulda lost his balance and fell down, then u could pushed your bike down the hill, put it in 2nd and pop the clutch and it starts, then wheely over him, hahahahhahaha, but nah it probally woulda been pretty freaky at the time tho.

Best is not to get into a shootout!

Kel-Tec makes pistols that weigh under 10 oz loaded. Not the best pistols, but very small and light.

http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at_pistol.htm

Even a lot of the Glock fans are liking the Springfield XD pistols, which is what I meant to refer to.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=341281

This site has lots of info on CCW

http://www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/7654

My advice is avoid trouble and avoid escallating the issue.

Know where you are riding and leave a note where you went riding.

If you have to, you can let people know you left instructions where to find you. Do they want a search party looking for you?

Run away and live another day!

I know what you mean by the scary locals. A couple years ago my parents inherited a 160 acre piece of land on the south side of Truman lake. No one in the family had been there in years(like 15-20years) I went and got the county court house got the legal description of the land, figured out the gps coordinates, and went down with a neighbor to check it out for deer hunting. I found the place pretty easy the gps coordinates were spot on as I found some sections of old fence on the north and south sides along an old logging road.

As we started walking the interior we soon found some trails and home made deer stands, no real suprise we were going to post the place to keep other out.

After about 2-3hrs of walking the place some rough looking local comes charging toward us, hes yelling at us to get off his property ( we were almost dead center on the the place). I yell at him that this is my property and he is tresspassing. This stops him for a second but he still looks really mad and he starts yelling again. At this point I pull my jacket aside and put my hand on my glock 9mm on my hip. The local stops yelling and and then threatins me tells me to leave and not come back then walks off.

At this point me and me neighbor leave. I was very glad to have a gun that day and was scared. I told my parents it was not worth hunting on and they sold the place to a hunting group. I never did go back to that place.