Sign in to follow this  

SM wheels or stock wheels and good rubber?

Im gonna get a set of road wheels and tires for my drz. I can spend about $1200, so i would have to go with a used set of SM wheels, or stockers. Found some stockers that are cheaper, but im wondering?

Is there much savings between the two?

Can i do some used excels and rubber for $1200?

Im NOT going to be backing it in to the curves, or going nutz on it, more just a solution to transportation right now.

Can you take stockers and get some good rubber on em, and still be happy?

I dont want to relace, when i want to hit the dirt.

So what would you guys suggest?

Can you take stockers and get some good rubber on em, and still be happy?--Yes. Good rubber on stock wheels will give good street performance. Perfect for transportation and you can still play a little in the corners.

I dont want to relace, when i want to hit the dirt.-- Then stay with stock wheels.

Im NOT going to be backing it in to the curves, or going nutz on it, more just a solution to transportation right now.

Sure not yet anyways :)

Try some new rubbers for now. If you like, you can proceed to saving money to get supermoto wheels/brakes for next season.

i rode the sm DRZ before

sold it

and i got a XR now, with road tyre on stock wheel

but the "curving" itch is still there

i still need the 17" wheel though.

:)

It sounds like you're going to be buying a second complete set of wheels, correct? I'd say spend the little extra and go with the 17s. You're going to be swapping wheels for street and dirt anyhow, right? No lacing involved.

Call Jeff at East Coast Wheels and get his "package" price for 17's laced to stock hubs with stock rotors and the sprocket of your choice. I'd bet it's not far from your price point.

If you're looking for swap ease, keeping the rotors and sprocket sized properly will allow for same chain use, and about a 15 minute swap!

The SM set will drasticly alter the bike- making it gangs of fun on the corners- but if you just want a commuter the stock sized wheels will do fine if outfitted with a street biased dp tire.

im not near Olympia, im up in Bellingham, but thanks for the offer.

If i went with stockers, can i get some good road tires for it, dont need DP's, its gonna be all cement or all dirt, no half/half.

For used SM's is Ebay the way to go? I wont buy in the UK, too many scams on UK ebay auctions, so im stuck with in country, or canada.

It seems like i can do stockers with rubber for about $600, Sound right?

How big of rubber can you put on the stock rims?

Should i just say "man up" and do the Used SM's? I cant spend one more dime above $1200, or i gotta find a new girlfriend, and this ones HOT, and she rides!!!!