Sign in to follow this  

Need help

with all this talk about the crf250r's having valve troubles its making me wonder if i should go with the yz250f. Are these valve problems a big issue or are they just the small percentage of people with valve troubles that tell of it on TT. this is a honda forum so i expect most of you to be for the crf250, but if given the choice between buying a 2004 yz250f (ported & polished, raced in expert class for one season, pro taper bars, REP suspension) for around $3500-$3700 or saving a more money for a 2005 crf250r-stock what would you choose and why. I wont be buying either one untill next fall so keep that in mind when considering the cost of the two bike bought then.

if you could give me some thoughts and opinions on this i would appreciate it a lot, thanks

Ben #256

with all this talk about the crf250r's having valve troubles its making me wonder if i should go with the yz250f. Are these valve problems a big issue or are they just the small percentage of people with valve troubles that tell of it on TT. this is a honda forum so i expect most of you to be for the crf250, but if given the choice between buying a 2004 yz250f (ported & polished, raced in expert class for one season, pro taper bars, REP suspension) for around $3500-$3700 or saving a more money for a 2005 crf250r-stock what would you choose and why. I wont be buying either one untill next fall so keep that in mind when considering the cost of the two bike bought then.

if you could give me some thoughts and opinions on this i would appreciate it a lot, thanks

Ben #256

Correction: This is not a Honda forum..... :)

Huummm..........copy/past? :)

This is a Yamaha forum where valves and piston skirts DON'T break on our bikes :)

Get the used 2004 Yamaha with the engine work. A stock YZ will leave a CRF, a modified YZ is even better. The best situation would be that the previous rider and you are about the same weight, then the REP suspension works right out oft he box. Otherwise plan on a slight adjustment to dial it in. No matter what the 2004 YZ is a much better buy financially than the CRF (or a new YZ).

I would be a little hesitant abot buying a bike that was raced by an expert on a regular basis. I bought a '04 crf450 from an A rider and it was worn out. Only ridden 1 season. I would look for a bike that has very low hours and go that route. I learned from my mistake.