Sign in to follow this  

if you want to go riding with me...

its no lake. theres a set of pictures, and show the waves of the lake. must have beeeeeen veryyyy cold as salt water freezes colder than usual

no, i dont know where or who took that pic. just something i found on the interweb

POSER!!!

LOL LOL LOL :):p:):D

Them cars ain't gonna be going to great come Monday morning. Thats just crazy the was it froze on the trees and all.

Ice storms like that are quite common near Portland Oregon along the Columbia River. There are usually strong winds associatied with this phenomenon. The angle of the ice off of the trees is a good indicator. The type of trees that lose their leaves in Winter are not known to survive near salt water. My guess is that this is along a river or lake...... But who cares? :) Looks pretty cool unless you are one of the people that has your car encased in 3 inches of solid ice... :)

I remember a 1996 Christmas snow storm that cut my power for over 5 days. After day three, I decided I might as well go back to work near Troutdale, Oregon because they didn't have the snow we did near Seattle.

Well, everything was looking good until I was about 3 miles from Troutdale. I was going to stay at the Motel 6. I started seeing chunks of ice scattered all over the road as if an ice truck had an accident. I noticed it looked a little dark up ahead. By the time I arrived at the off-ramp, there was no power anywhere. The stop sign at the end of the ramp was encased in ice so thick you could not even read it.. but it was clear enough that you could make out the colors. The icicles hanging from the sign were as long as the ones in that photo above and pointed toward me instead of haning straight down.

The trees were solid ice and even blades of grass were encased in clear ice bigger than popcicles. The Motel had no power and several cars in the lot were abandoned and completely entombed in over 3 inches of ice, completely sealed. The ice on the roof was coming off in 10 to 50 pound chunks and was too dangerous to approach. I spent about 30 minutes exploring the wonderland and then drove a few miles West to another place with power and no ice.

It was a good test of my new (to me) VW Vanagon Syncro with the winter studded ice/snow tires.

Truely an amazing sight! :)