OHV/ATV trails in Mich. with Dualsport..question

A buddy of mine and I are planning to ride in Michigan on the ATV/OHV trails and was wondering what permits are required since both our bikes are street legal and registered in other states. Do we still need an OHV sticker from Michigan? Also, what trails, etc. to do recommend.

Thanks,

Jerry

You will need an orv sticker avaliable at any michigan motorcycle shop or Meijer shoping centers. $16.25 I believe. Or you can go here and order one.

http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/welcome.asp

it looks like the 2005 ones are not avaliable yet. Probably in another month I would guess.

As for what trails. What area are you thinking of visiting? there are trails all over michigan that are good to ride. My personal preferace is to head to the UP for the best riding in the state. I love it up there.

Diddo on the trails in the U.P. They are less travelled and thus less whooped-out.

If you go to the MDNR website, you can request up to 4 different trail maps at a time. They will mail them to you free of charge.

If you write a letter, they will send you the whole state set. These are 8 1/2 by 14, so they are easy to read.

I like the Higgins Lake/Hougton Lake area and Whiskey Creek. Both are in the middle of the lower penninsula.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-38330--,00.html

Have fun!

For a $25 membership in the Cycle Conservation Club, you'll get a mapbook of the entire state including trails not on the DNR site.

Your bikes should also have USFS spark arrestor approved pipes that meet our 94db sound test.

Plenty of good camping and riding opportunities throughout the state. If you have a preference for type of trail and required accommodations, I'm sure one of us on this board can give some pointers.

Besides the standard loop trail options we also have a 500+ mile trail safari plus two dual sport safaris, each running 1200+ miles.

Thanks guys for the info. I think we are leaning towards doing the U.P. Not sure when we are going to do this. My friend is still in the market for a bike, but we are hoping to do this in late Spring or early Summer. I'm sure as we get closer to planning the details, I will have more questions for you guys! Thanks for the links.

Jerry