Sign in to follow this  

help mettle in oil filter , 2004

My 450 has started leaving mettle shavings and some small chips in the oil filter !! This bike has many riding hours on it . . There is no weird noises coming from the Eng . What steps should I take from hear??

Are the shavings magnetic?

If so it is most likely from the ball retainer on the crankshaft bearing, or the lower rod bearing. Both will generate metal shaving just before complete failure. Take it appart now and find the problem, because if either one fails completely it is going to cost a lot more later to fix.

Good luck.

Well I took your advice, I took the side cover off and my flywheel weight came loose. Well all the bolts came off and the flywheel weight was rattling around inside. It doesn't look like the flywheel is messed up, but I think I will change it anyways. The electronic pickup will need to be replaced and the side cover will not need to be replaced. I thought I would try to flush the system out the best I could and ride it. Any advice?

I don't know much about these beasts, but I do know that the metal shavings are something that I got just before my rod bearings went kaboom. Its great you found that like you did. I would do a good flush of the system with some diesel before you ride again.......I know some people don't agree with the diesel theory but I did it on all of my two strokes after 6-7 hard rides. I had very few problems with my two strokes unlike this damn 450! Good Luck! Cause it seems to be with you... :):)