Sign in to follow this  

want more power

I have a mostly stock 04 YZ250F and I race motocross in the 125 B class. The only thing I really have added to my bike to give it more power is a FMF powerbomb header. What do you think would be the best item to give me even bigger power gains?

JD jetting kit and ZipTy fuel screw from the ThumperTalk store. Chances are your jetting is not spot on and you're giving away HP.

Then look at getting your suspension dialed in for YOU so you can make the most of the power you have got.

Not to get off track but have you thought of getting the suspension done or have you done that? That would help you out more then getting a exhaust pipe or something down that line. Steve.

Don't listen to everyone talking about suspension. The yz250f has great stock suspension. You can tweak it a little if needed by setting it up yourself with sag and compression/rebound. You said you have a header. I would look into the matching muffler as well as a 262 kit and/or hotcams.

:) huh?...whaddya mean?..don't listen to people about suspension?..i've got all the performance goodies you can think of but the first thing i did before even firing up the motor was sending my suspension out to get revalved..and this is on the new 05 aoss suspension..you save seconds per lap,increase your confidence in your bike and save your body on those odd mistakes that all of us do..it soaks up the little bumps to the square edge killers to overshooting landings..suspension imho is the number one mod. :):p

true, but the bike will still perform without the suspension. how will you race with no motor? going to be a lot of pushing. i would say go 262 kit and still be legal

:) ok..now with that out of the way..best power gains..

1) high comp piston (overall power)

2) hot cams (mid to high power) so far about $450.00

3) make a power now (low end )

4) remove air filter mesh (free) more air

5) back-fire filter (just in case) $30.00

6) jd jetting kit ($70.00)gotta get myself

7) a pipe?? for mx ( pro circuit) mid to high end pipe but lots out there

this is SOME of the things i did and the bike is a monster :

other things i've done..hinson clutch/barnett plates..iridium plug...storm fuel screw.. :)

TTR you have no idea, you ride a ttr enough said. Depending on your weight you should at least get your suspension revalved, maybe springs if you need them. Suspension will make you alot faster then a pipe will.

ooh i guess because i ride a ttr125 that i should leave this website and come back when i'm man enough to ride your bike then huh? Well, i guess your bike is too manly for everyone else and only you can ride it. Why dont you and 2BB hang out; you would make a great couple :)

It depends on the bike. An 05 doesn't need a revalve. I put heavier springs in because of my weight and adjusted the clickers until I was happy. I called Factory Connection and got the springs from them, they said they can't do much with the 05's. They are great right out of the box.

My 03 I rode for a while and played with different settings but I wasn't happy. I sent it off to Factory Connection and they revalved it but I was 650 bucks poorer.

I don't buy pipes to often, 700 bucks is a lot of money. I put in a 262 kit and Hotcams and the bike goes much better.

:) the bike before the 05 was a 03 yz250f..the suspensions was good stock but i'll tell ya ..holy s$*(^, when i put on the enzo subtanks and enzo revalve....it made me a believer in the magic that those suspension guys can do...it made it soooooo much plusher and responsive..the only difference between the 03 and 04 was the diameter of the forks..best $500.00 you can spend imho :)

I say hire a good local Pro to give you lessons.

All the motor in the world wont get through a turn any faster than your going right now and even the best suspension wont get you through whoops any faster if you don't know how to ride whoops.

Lessons can help you with.

Bike setup.

Race day prep. bike, body & mental.

Gate choice & prep.

How to come off the gate.

How & when on gear selection.

Setting up for corners.

Breaking for the corners.

Picking the fastest line through corners.

How to exit corners.

Jumping

Whoops

Line selection

passing

etc.

etc.

etc.

etc.

etc.

etc.

All that stuff adds up to FAST lap times.

When you hire a good local Pro you both win, you get his experience and he gets help with his race expenses.

Do the suspension. All the motorwork in the world will not help you if the suspension is not keeping the tires on the ground thus putting the power to the ground. The 05 has great valving already. But if the springs are too soft or hard for your weight a respring will help your riding more then any motorwork. Anybody that tells you not to set the supension up correctly first does not have a clue. I have been involved in racing for about 15yrs now and getting the suspension done up right is the first mod I do to a new bike. It helps me more then any motorwork has ever helped me. I guarantee you every pro rider out there has had suspension work done!! :)

Listen, quit trying to run the guys life and answer the question he asked. He rides the B class. Therefore he is probably a lot faster then all of you who are trying to tell him "get lessons" "get suspension". You think he just started riding yesterday to get to that level? I'm sure sometime through the years he's heard about the importance of technique and suspension. Go lecture someone else. :)

Listen, quit trying to run the guys life and answer the question he asked. He rides the B class. Therefore he is probably a lot faster then all of you who are trying to tell him "get lessons" "get suspension". You think he just started riding yesterday to get to that level? I'm sure sometime through the years he's heard about the importance of technique and suspension. Go lecture someone else. :)

If you don't like it DON'T READ IT!! The only one being negative here is YOU!! :)

Hey if I was looking to make my bike faster and better then it was I would hope someone that went through it already would tell me that there are better things to spend $400 or so dollars on. Why would you even waste your time posting something like that.

mxoldtimer- I think your sig. pretty much sums it up.

The guy came in here looking for more power out of his engine, and out of 10 or 15 replies didn't get a single answer. :)

mxoldtimer- I think your sig. pretty much sums it up.

The guy came in here looking for more power out of his engine, and out of 10 or 15 replies didn't get a single answer. :)

You know Dustin you are a pretty neg person, as your posts on here seem to suggest. :p

Short story for you. I am a mechanic. I work on a B class riders bike. I do all of his work for him. Last year we actually did the motorwork first on his bike. No reason, he just wanted to see what difference it made. Cams, headwork, high compression piston, pipe and so on... He was a whopping 2 sec a lap quicker on 2 laps out of 50 laps of practice. other then that he was within a second of his times on the bike completely stock. So we set up the suspension (springs and valving) went to the same track to see the difference in his times. The weather was almost identical to the first set of laps. only 5 deg difference in temp. Out of 50 laps, he averaged just under 5 sec a lap quicker then his fastest time with motor mods. on 3 of those laps he was right at 6 sec. faster. and on one magical lap he almost hit 7 sec. faster.

With that being said, we all realize that his original question was about the engine. But he also stated he was riding a pretty much STOCK BIKE. Which would suggest the suspension is stock. That is why there are so many replies about the suspension..... It makes more difference then the motor. If you do not want to do your suspension then don't. And you will never realize the benifit that comes out of it........ :)

I have a mostly stock 04 YZ250F and I race motocross in the 125 B class. The only thing I really have added to my bike to give it more power is a FMF powerbomb header. What do you think would be the best item to give me even bigger power gains?

To answer your question specifically.

You can put in a high compression piston. that will definatley help on the power down low and in the middle. You can have the head ported but this usually only gives you a little gain for the cost. The heads now day are pretty good from the factory. You can put in different cams. The drawback to this is that the really aggresive cams can lead to earlier valve problems. The other thing that will give you probably the most noticable diff in power is a big bore kit. This is not legal to do for racing but is done by many....... It is also pretty pricey.....depending on how big you go. Hope this helps....... :)