Sign in to follow this  

Xt-550

I figured maybe some of you guys who were around with this bike might know.

Ive read that a yz 250 shock will bolt up to my 83 xt 550 and give it a little more travel. I want to beef up the suspention a little. Im also having a running problem, if anyone here is a good mechanic.

So YOU'RE the other one who admits to owning an XT-550? lol I had one years ago...I miss it.

bump for the memories.

I love this bike! Honestly, i wouldnt trade it in for anything (cept my dream bike, 426) i'll take a look into that company

Works makes custom shocks built for about any bike and the best part is they build it just for your weight, riding style, etc...

We have one we just bought as my buddies first bike. He needed something to chase his Sons around on their new PW80's and it's a nice bike. Plenty of power, soft seat, and it starts on the first or second kick even when cold. It's no MX bike, But a damn nice old school dual sport that get's the job done. He paid $1,000. New DOT knobbies, rebuillt swingarm, steering head bearings, Renthal bars with bark busters, SuperTrapp exhaust system, Bought it from the original owner with 5K miles. If he wouldn't have bought it, I would have just for a backup bike.

i ride with a few xt 550's. we all seem to love them. super realiable (just not the cdi) and alot of fun. one of my buddies has the yz shock and swing arm on his and it seems to work well for him, his about 300lbs and fast. i don't know what year or anything becuase he bought it that way.

yea, my cdi is on its way. I cant seem to find the shock i would need to upgrade, I want mine to be a bit stiffer. Front forks im going to switch out next year. Other than that, 1 or 2 kicks, never fails. Not to mention how intinidating it is when i get it up in the rpm's

has anyone put a aftermarket exhuast on one these pigs. i have seen super traps muffler on them but the mid pipe seems to be a problem to find.

i believe the header pipe is aprox 128 from yami, The super trap i have on mine came with it when i bought it. Im not too fond of the performance of the exhaust, there is almost no top end, at least not where i want it. Other than that ive seen an fmf on one from germany, but im thinking that was custom.

Just scored my '82 550 from Ebay just over a month ago......ended up losing the auction @ the last minute, but the $1000 reserve wasn't met......so I called up the seller, offered him $800 cash & he took it! :p

It was the 1st bike I found in Oregon......so it only cost me $30 in gas to go retrieve it. :)

Definitely curious about aftermarket exhausts & tires for it. :)