Sign in to follow this  

downed Airplane at Clear creek?

Now I have heard this from a few people that there is a downed airplane at Clearcreek from a few years ago.is this myth or fact? if fact can I get to it by bike or what ? where is it? By what trail etc? I want to check it out as part of our ride at Clear creek. Let me say to who ever never ben there its Awsome!

k-dog

I don't remember what trail it's on - there are onlt pits and pieces left - it crashed a long time ago!

im in san jose, and me and a bud are riding there this sun/mon. ive never been before, he has only once. i heard its easy to get lost, so im bringing my gps unit. let me know when your riding cuz we're always looking for others to ride with (and throw a few beers back...ok, a lot of beers).

I've seen the plane crash site, it's been awhile but I'm sure there's a few scraps still laying around.

One of my riding buddies and I were crawling around through the manzanita bushes looking for cool plane parts one time. When we got back on our bikes we saw this big old rattlesnake cruising across the trail. We sure were glad he wasn't hiding under some of the plane parts we were turning over!

I have the plane location saved as a Garmin Mapsource waypoint. Here's the coordinates... N36 19.848 W120 39.392

I might try to get down to Clear Creek on the 26th-27th, we'll see. I was actually thinking about taking this Friday off and beating the weekend crowds down there instead.

John

I'm told that it's a B17 that went down in 1946. I've been there many times, and there is still a nice pile of mostly amuminum skin, with the odd piece of structural steel. The CC map does not show the trails you'll need to find the wreck.

I'm told that it's a B17 that went down in 1946. I've been there many times, and there is still a nice pile of mostly amuminum skin, with the odd piece of structural steel. The CC map does not show the trails you'll need to find the wreck.

http://www.picacho.org/interest/b17-site.html

http://www.picacho.org/interest.html

Last time I saw it - there wasn't as much of the plane left, but it seems that the aluminum gets replenished with empty beer cans. Tried to get to it on sunday, but it was getting mighty slippery and hard to see more than about 50 feet in the fog/drizzle.

If you go to the mining town be very careful!

There are two residences in the town, the houses are very close to one another and are located on the northern most side of the tailing piles. The man who gave me the tour is a questionable character at best and is having quite a feud with the others in the town whom only seem to be around on weekends.

I returned to New Idria two weeks after taking the photos and was planning on giving the “caretaker” some prints but when I found him he was so drunk he could not stand or speak and his neighbor was not receptive about my wanting to take more photos of the town.

Both men were armed so I was outa there, to leave them to their own devises. Be very careful if you chose to stop in the town! DT

The images are still posted at

http://loriwatercolor.com/friends/friendsframe.html

Sopiago Springs is near Elkins Flat on North South Road.

A couple of friends have been trying to get the place reopened for Hare Scramble and Moto Cross events but I have pretty much lost faith that they will actually make it work, with all the hoops that the county government is making them jump through it seems impossible.

Its okay with me because a few times a year I head up there to help out on work days… but as you can see it usually ends up as a Moto party behind a locked gate.

Loma Prieta is near my home in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It’s just a bunch of dirt roads where it is still legal for residents to cruise around some beautiful land in the SF bay area. DT

Yeah man, that plane is part of the Clear Creek legend. Been there for decades. My dad and his buddys used to talk about it and the old town in the late 70's.

I was there sunday. Didnt visit the plane, but what a sweet day. A little cold up high in the fog and mist.......

Man, I hope Clear Creek is still there for my kids to enjoy down the road.

for those going to CC this weekend remember the Salinas ramblers are puttng on the quicksilver enduro...so be careful of the racers out there... :)