Missing oil like a Honda!

I noticed the other day that my 05 YZ250F was blowing a little bit of smoke when reving out. I didn't think too much of it but I checked the oil today (after 2 rides of approx. 65 miles) and it didn't register on the dip stick. I have had a 262 kit and Hot Cams in it for a few months now. Though I'm not totally sure, I think the smoking has increased over time. It starts as easily as it always has so I figure it's not valve related. Since the big bore is fairly new, I doubt it's the rings. What should I check first?

wow doesn't even register after two rides? Something is definitely wrong, are you sure you put enough oil in when ya changed it?

Yep. I specifically recall that it was at the very top of the OK zone.

Did you start the bike to check the oil? Mine will not register unless you let the bike warm up, then wait five minutes. Check the owners manuel and it will tell you the same, it has something to do with the dry sump system these bikes have. Good luck

Yep.

the rings

I got the kit from Eric Gorr and he delivers the cylinder with the rings already on the piston and in the cylinder. Doesn't mean he could have done something wrong but I thought it was unlikely. Guess I'll get some rings and give it a try. Any other possibilities?

could be a valve seal leak. any oil in the coolant or external leaks? Is it really low, as in barely anything comes out when you drain it, or is the oil pump shot, or blockage in the oil lines.

You still have to assemble the piston to the rod so it could be the gaps are all in the same line letting the oil get past. You still should have checked the end gaps for your own sanity.

You still have to assemble the piston to the rod so it could be the gaps are all in the same line letting the oil get past. You still should have checked the end gaps for your own sanity.

What is it they say about hindsight? ? Definitely should have and will next time.

could be a valve seal leak. any oil in the coolant or external leaks? Is it really low, as in barely anything comes out when you drain it, or is the oil pump shot, or blockage in the oil lines.

No external leaks and I did not check the coolant this last time - will do tonight. I should have measured the output but didn't. Just guessing, I'd say it looked like about 1/2-3/4 was still there ... though very dark (use Shell Rotella synthetic). How do I check the lines for a blockage? Simply remove them and look?

Did you break in the big bore with synthetic oil?

Of course .... not. Pure dino.

You did nothing to the head. It isn't leaking. You replaced the piston and cylinder. It sounds most like an improperly assembled or installed oil ring, Watson.

And it's smoking. Rings are my guess too.

I spoke with Eric Gorr and he said two possibilities: 1) rings, or 2) valve seals. I'll put on new rings this week and cross my fingers.

BTW, in speaking with Wiseco, they will have an 2005 2mm over piston (79mm) out within 2-3 months. All the 262 kits are using the 2004 piston which only gets you 13:1 compression as opposed to 13.2:1 which is what the 2004 set up had. Not a big deal but those of us with 2005 YZ262F's should use the new piston when available.

Thanks for the help and I'll let you know if the new rings help.

I cracked open the motor and replaced the rings. The wavy oil ring ends are supposed to butt up against each. Well, it looks like a very small piece of one of the ends (<1mm) was missing and this caused the ring to overlap. This is a bad thing as it allows oil to sneak by. I rode today and it was all better.

Thanks for all the suggestions ?

Now I have to fix the blown fork seal ?