Sign in to follow this  

Anyone ever patent anything.....how to

I have done some research on it. But have not reached the point in time were I need to patent it yet. Still in the R&D process.

But my understanding is that you need to get a search done which usually run around 1000 dollars. and can take up to sevrall years. Then you pay an attorney to patent it for you and that is over 5000 dollars. From there I guess you would market the idea.

This is just what I have been told from sevrall attorneys. This may be wrong or out dated.

I just found this website:

LegalZoom

It sounds like you file a provsional patent first, which gets you "Patent Pending" status, that supposedly gives you protection of the idea while you go ahead and start producing the item & try to market it.

This site indicates $330 to acheive this................Im still researching though...

All I have to say is research them throughly and contact an attorney.

My friedn dave miller invented something for use on the cams of yz's. A company asked him to send pics cause they were interested. He did and they stole it. So be very carefull.

I invented a dirtbike gizmo i want to patent. Anyone ever do it B4? Is there an easy step by step manual around? Any help is appreciated.

I have a couple patents through my work as an EE, and have looked at patenting a couple things on my own. The best resource I've found is the books and info from the Nolo Press in Berkeley:

http://www.nolopress.com/resource.cfm/catID/00E99E7C-76B3-406F-AE703233C2157E4E/310/101/

:)

If you're serious and ready with a prototype, pm me.

I have a friend that is a patent attorney (worked for years at the US Patent office...now in private practice specializing in patent searches and applications) and he can give you all the details.

He can do the search and submit the application for you if you decide to go ahead with it.

HTH,