Sign in to follow this  

New 250x update

OK, so I got my girlfriend a 250x in December and it's had a few weekends riding on it so I checked the valves.

It wasn't so hard to do once I figured it out. One intake valve was .004 and one exhaust was .010. The others were perfect. So, I'm in spec but just barely. I'm just gonna check em again after a few more rides and see where we're at. I followed the "How to check valve clearance" thread here and it was easy. The pictures and descriptions were pretty much spot on.

I also re-jetted with a step up on the pilot jet since it had a flat spot off idle. That was a pain in the a$$. I followed another thread here and did it by taking the drain off the bowl and getting the jet through the hole. Like threading a needle.

I put it all back together and it runs great now! Seems to have ALOT more snap off of idle now.

Just thought I'd share. My valves were a little tight but still in spec and I'm thinking it might just be a break in thing. One step up on the pilot jet really woke up the bike up. That's all I've done to it. I'm just gonna keep everything stock.

Tomorrow I'm gonna put a lowering link in it so my girl can touch the ground a little easier. I read alot of threads about lowering and decided to just go with the link, mainly for time and price reasons. Besides, if it doesn't work right I can change it back easy.

We're headed out to the desert this weekend so the bike should get a good test.

Don't overlook setting rear sag after installing the link! PM with a phone # if you need help setting rear sag. Good luck I installed the link last week not the best but 1.7 inch helps.

OK, so I got my girlfriend a 250x in December and it's had a few weekends riding on it so I checked the valves.

It wasn't so hard to do once I figured it out. One intake valve was .004 and one exhaust was .010. The others were perfect. So, I'm in spec but just barely. I'm just gonna check em again after a few more rides and see where we're at. I followed the "How to check valve clearance" thread here and it was easy. The pictures and descriptions were pretty much spot on.

I also re-jetted with a step up on the pilot jet since it had a flat spot off idle. That was a pain in the a$$. I followed another thread here and did it by taking the drain off the bowl and getting the jet through the hole. Like threading a needle.

I put it all back together and it runs great now! Seems to have ALOT more snap off of idle now.

Just thought I'd share. My valves were a little tight but still in spec and I'm thinking it might just be a break in thing. One step up on the pilot jet really woke up the bike up. That's all I've done to it. I'm just gonna keep everything stock.

Tomorrow I'm gonna put a lowering link in it so my girl can touch the ground a little easier. I read alot of threads about lowering and decided to just go with the link, mainly for time and price reasons. Besides, if it doesn't work right I can change it back easy.

We're headed out to the desert this weekend so the bike should get a good test.

Thank you for all the work on my bike the last couple of days! I can't wait to get it out in the desert this weekend and ride the heck out of it! :):)