Sign in to follow this  

O/T GPS mounting to handlebar Help!

Ok, I've finally decided which GPS to buy - I'm going to get the Etrex Vista C. Now, what RAM mount do I need to attach to my handlebars (7/8 inch) . On the website I was looking at, the GPS was mounted with a RAM U-bolt and it was sticking up about 6 inches above the handlebars. I'm sure the GPS wouldn't last long like that. So I need your help. Pics of the GPS mounted on the DRZ would be great too. :)

I have the ubolt ram for my garmin rhino 130.

Get the stainless instead of plastic mount.

You can put it in a variety of positions, up, down, flat on bars, etc.

Its 2 balls on each side with good articulation and twist lock.

Pic from the ram site.

ramb149zga8.jpg

Aerostich sells a short stem RAM mount for $46.

Aerostich

I have one on my DRZ & it works great I also have the same mount on my V-Strom.

I have the ubolt ram for my garmin rhino 130.

Get the stainless instead of plastic mount.

You can put it in a variety of positions, up, down, flat on bars, etc.

Its 2 balls on each side with good articulation and twist lock.

Pic from the ram site.

ramb149zga8.jpg

Same here. Works good in the desert. I run batteries and have had only one ride in 1000+ miles with outages cause I did not use dielectric grease on the terminals. I don't wreck much and there is not much vegitation to snag it though.

RAM mount. You run the link sideways.

You mean buy what was pictured above. My main concern is crash damage because I like to crash and I do it as often as I can.

Also, Noble, how do you power it - direct wire to battery. If so, do you use a 12V car jack? What fuse?

By the way, I have become aquainted with the ground a time or two myself, to the point that my handlebars were bent in 3 different places but the gps and mount stayed put, no problem at all.

Here is the vista with the ram mount, hardly 6" if you lay it over.2005_0214me0002.jpg

Dirty_south400s: How/where did you mount your cigarette receptacle? Can you post pics?

Hey Billkat, I mounted the 12v outlet to the headlight shroud. I picked one up at advanced auto parts I believe and mounted it right up using 4 little bolts. Pretty sturdy and out of the way, sits right behind the GPS that way I don't have a long power cord running here and there.2005_0215me0003.jpg

2005_0215me0004.jpg

A little blurry but you can get the idea.

I run that same mount and have crash over more times than I care to admit. The GPS and the mount are still fine. I have a fused 12 v wire comining direct from the battery Fuse at the battery end run up to the handlebars and direct wired into the circuit board of a dismantled 12V Garmin adapter witha switch in the power line so I can turn it on and off