[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

200 exc to a yz or wr?

just sold my 200 exc and want a yz or wr so I ask the which one will be better for tight woods riding enduros and hare scrambles :)

Welcome to Thumpertalk :)

There will be LOTS of opinions on this one so I'll say WR becuase it's got the coil and headlight setup that most enduros require. The WR also has lower gearing and an excellent O-ring chain on the bike stock.

just sold my 200 exc and want a yz or w

Time for a avatar change already :)

just sold my 200 exc and want a yz or wr so I ask the which one will be better for tight woods riding enduros and hare scrambles :)

the 200 exc is very fast in the tight woods, the yz 250 two smoke might be an improvement. or a 300 exc. in the harescrambles i run those are the fastest bikes. :) the 05 wr is supposed to have a better feel to it (lower CG) but i can't help but think the close ratio trannie on the yz250f will help keep you in the meat. and its alot lighter. the yzf would definately be faster, throw in a rekluse and you won't need the e-start. :p

I would have to say YZ. That is, if you have any money after buying your new bike. The WR is already Q equipped and ready for tight trails. If you want a YZ to perform like a WR (With keeping the good traits), you could spend as much as $500 in aftermarket parts. These being $200 tank, $100 sprockets/ chain (Always change chain with sprockets), $300 headlight if you want it, $400 Q pipe, and some little things. I didn't want to scare you, because all of these things aren't necessary. These are just things to convert YZ to WR. After all that, the 25 pound and extra power is worth it in my book.

Don't forget the $800 wide ratio transmition, it's way easier and cheaper two convert a wr into a yz than a yz into a wr. Besides the wr is made for the tight woods and holds it's own in hare scrambles too. Overall the wr is a more sensible bike to buy

Don't forget the $800 wide ratio transmition, it's way easier and cheaper two convert a wr into a yz than a yz into a wr. Besides the wr is made for the tight woods and holds it's own in hare scrambles too. Overall the wr is a more sensible bike to buy

the close ratio 5 spd with the 250f is a better choice for HS; the 250 wr my buddy has is almost 2 strokish in its power delivery and the wide ratios make it harder to keep in the power. i think if you dropped a tooth in the front on the yzf it would be unstopable in the woods. as far as the suspenders go, i had to go to yz valving on mine but i'm very large and very fast! there are things you can do (like sub tanks,ohlins fluid etc.) to make the yz valving more woods friendly.(the new 05 forks on the yzf's are supposed to be plusher than anything yamaha has produced thus far) my next bike is gonna be a 06 yzf 450.

YZF - especially since you've just come off a 200 EXC (compare the weight of a 200 EXC and a WR250F). Of course it depends on your weight but the suspension is fine the way it is (I'm 175, A Senior enduro). If you are slower (C or B rider), then you *might* want a softer suspension (again, depending on your weight). These are generalizations so don't get upset if you don't agree :) . Turn the compression clickers out and start turning them back in to find what's most comfortable for you. I don't run enduro's in the dark so I don't need no stinking light (or weight) :p ; the bikes starts if you breathe on the kickstarter so I don't need no stinking estart (again, weight) :) and the tranny is just fine the way it is :D (unless you want to go faster than 55-60 mph). I do add one tooth to the rear sprocket for certain races. Btw, I have a 262 kit and Hot Cams so that's why stock gearing works for me in most cases.

I ride my WR in tight woods all the time. Here's my take on this (for what it's worth). The WR's suspension is set up a good bit softer and is much better running through creeks, over rocks, over fallen trees, etc. I actually softened my susp. up a little more than stock, because the front wanted to push in sand and loose dirt. Having said all that, I've never ridden a YZ, but I know it's set up a good bit stiffer to accomodate MX riding, including jumps. I like having the odometer. You can tell exactly when its time to head back to the truck for gas! Plus, on public riding trails, the headlights help you get seen a little sooner by the 4 wheelers. :)