Sign in to follow this  

XR400 DOT Tires

Can anyone recomened a good tires that will be dot legal but still hook up good for trail riding.

Thanks Xr4guy

Street legal 96xr400

There is also the Dunlop D606, and the Pirelli MT18 (I think) with DOT approval. The D606 is a harder compound and with closer knob spacing than the K760 and will likely out wear it 2 to 1. But the k760 is also 1/2 the price of the 606. Some people have complained about the front k760 tire not giving them a good feel. Search the archives and I'm sure you will find some information. There is also the Pirelli MT21 for DOT, it is more like the D606 in design and wear life, whereas the MT18 has wider knob spacing like the K760.

I have the Kenda Trackmaster set on my bike. The rear is pretty good but the front is a little sketcy. My elbows payed the price when I first rode with the front Kendas. You really have to get your weight forward for these things to hook up, otherwise is washout city.

I have used the Perelli MT21 for quite a few years now, with alot of street use. They hold up pretty good, usually a new tire every season depending on how I thrashed on them. I am using a Bridgestone ED04 now, and I am really pleased with. Not planning on riding alot on the street with the knobbies. Got a SM setup for that :) Talk to your local shop they should be able to set you up with a tire that fits your riding style.

Thanks for all the feedback I think I will be going with the Kenda Trackmasters. I will only be on the street 20 persent of the time and 80 percent trail. :)

96 XR400 Street Legal

I ran this combo for a year. Worked great.

MT18 front (2 MT18's only one is DOT)

Kenda 760 Trackmaster II rear.

I've rarely heard bad things about the Kenda rear.

I've rarely heard good things about the Kenda front.

I ran the Trakmaster for a while. Now I run the Michelin S12. It's not a DOT tire, but I would much rather have the traction in the dirt.

Michelin M12 front and S12 rear with the "FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY" ground off.

And a cop that doesn't know his DOT knobbies or what the roughed up spot on the sidewalls means... :):o

BUT - if you are riding the DOT slabs responsibly, the cop should not have you on the side of the road, critiquing your rubber, right?? :p:D:D

The tire mods are JIC... :)

TERIFLEX :D

rode with two TT members last week with these things :) they should be outlawed............they will shoot a roost 50 ft. throw rocks the size of Pamela Andersons Chee Chee's .............OMG unbeliviable what damage these tires do :) But at least you make it up the nasty hill and thru the nasty swamp and all the way to granma's house :p:D