Sign in to follow this  

rear linkage bearings - how to remove/regrease???

I have the rear linkage on my '00 XR250 apart.

how in the heck do you get the needle bearings out to clean and relube them????

Want to relube the connecting rod, relay arm and swingarm bearing assemblies.

Sincerely appreciate yr help.

Roger

I dont think theres anyway to get the needle bearings out without messing them up but im not sure. When I got my lowering link the shop I go to told me theres no way to get them out without messing them up so I had to get new bearings for the lowering link.

Over the years, I've serviced linkages and swing arm bearings on many different kinds of bikes and on many of them you can usually remove the individual roller pins to clean and regrease them. It's been a little over a year since I've done a XR250R, but I could have sworn the roller pins on the swing arm bearings were removable on that bike once the dust seals were removed. I just finished doing this to a WR426F last week. I removed the dust seals and pushed out the insert that the swingarm bolt/shaft slides through and use a pin to get underneath the rollers to pop them out. After I cleaned everything, I packed the bearing cage with a waterproof grease (Schaeffers 221#2) using an acid brush and carefully placed the needles back into their cage and bedded them into the grease. After all the needles are bedded into the grease, then I brushed on a bit more greased over the tops of the needles to make sure they were covered before I put everything back together.

On Thumpertalk home page lower left is an article "featured" how to repack rear suspension linkage. It has alot of good info.

Also a service manual is handy for the specific model you're working on.

Mark

How do you get the dust seals off?

Generarally, the dust seals for many of the bearings in our bikes need to be pryed out. I use a 'L' shaped screwdriver type of tool to do this, but a wide tipped flat balde screw driver will also work. You just don't want to use something narrow that will cut into the seal lip or damage the seal/cap in anyway. They're cheap to replace, so it's not a huge issue if one gets damaged.