Sign in to follow this  

Replace drive chain?

The drive chain on my DRZ S is 5 years old, but only has 2,700 miles on it. The chain side plates look fine, never has had any corrosion, and the chain feels fine with no tight links or other items that seem wrong. There is no visible wear on the chain or sprockets.

The only issue is that I can see some o-rings have checking (cracking) on them. It seems that during this bike’s long storage, the o-rings dried out some as it seems to me that the previous owner didn’t keep the chain greased the way you should for a multi-year storage. Anyway, that’s the only item that makes this chain look different from a brand new one.

OK, I bought a new one from TT along with the new tires, but now I’m wondering if I should save the new chain as maybe this one has more miles left on it. Does anybody here have an opinion on whether checking or cracking of the o-rings on an otherwise perfect drive chain is reason to replace it? I ride far away and all alone. The last thing I need is a broken chain, but I also don’t want to toss a good part to replace with an equally good part.

Input? Thanks.

If i was in your position I would put on a new chain if only for piece of mind. To me, chain and sprockets are items whch shouldn't be skimped on, especially if you ride on your own.

Also, if the chain was to break it could damage your engine cases which would be very expensive to repair, but this could be saved for a relatively cheap part.

At the end of the day it's your choice, hope it works out for you :)

If i was in your position I would put on a new chain if only for piece of mind. To me, chain and sprockets are items whch shouldn't be skimped on, especially if you ride on your own.

Also, if the chain was to break it could damage your engine cases which would be very expensive to repair, but this could be saved for a relatively cheap part.

At the end of the day it's your choice, hope it works out for you :)

What he said... :)

Your old chain is fine to run. The "O" rings seal in the lube and seal out the dirt. Once the seals go bad the chain will go bad quickly but it will give plenty of warning. The checking you see may be significant, or maybe not. I would have to see it to know. Just take care of it as always and when you see tight spots or the chain seems to change slack as you spin the wheel - then it's a gonner. Depending on how you use the bike and maintain it, 5000 miles is not hard to get on a good chain. My street bikes go 30,000