Sign in to follow this  

Air filter question,,tried this already twice TT problems

My OEM filter decided to disolve for no apparent reason. It has been cleaned twice, soap & water re-oiled with UNI spray filter oil. It disolved at the base the lip that pushs up to the air box. I used a thin film of bel-ray waterproof grease on the lip, I have used it before with no ill effects. Went to check it saturday in preparation for a upcoming Big Bend Texas. That is when I noticed it had turned to jello at the base.

I ordered a Twin air locally should be here weds. this week. Bike is under warranty so I will contact the dealer & see what Suzuki might do, nothing most likely but I am certain I did nothing wrong.

No more grease then for me then. I ran my old "E" for two years with grease no problems. The new bike had the filter cleaned maybe a month ago that is what so strange about it. Not like I neglected it for a year.

I may get one of those seals you mentioned in a thread I found while doing a search on filters. PC racing Pro seal $13 bucks. :)

I just took apart a 1973 Honda SL350 K2 that was in storage 22 years. The SL350 K1 and K2 use foam filters. Talk about filter rot!!!! Looked perfect. One touch and it totally disintegrated.

I know this has been asked before, but...

I clean the air filter after every ride. When I oil the filter, I have been told to be careful not to over oil. I always make sure that the filter is completely covered with oil, but I wring it out completly and then let it "dry" overnight before using.

I have heard other people use a much lighter approach to oiling. Even with letting the air filter sit overnight, my bike generally runs rich for the first 10 - 15 minutes. Am I over oiling....

I think you are creating too little air flow and maybe taking a chance on plugging up a hole in the carb with too much oil. I noticed you said you wring out the oil. I would suggest you squeeze out the oil but do not wring the filter. I usually have 2 or 3 filters so I can oil one and let it sit and drain after I squeeze the oil out. Right now I am using Notoil oil and cleaner and love it. I have a UNi filter, a notiol filter, a stock filter and i just bought one of the preoiled filters that are in a sealed bag that i will keep for emergencies if i do not have time to properly prepare a filter.

I don't think I'd use regular grease for the air filter, they make a special grease just for that. It could be why the filter is disintegrating. Having said that I have a pro-seal on both of the dirt bikes :), no more messy grease for me :)

If your cage and filter has a good mechanical seal, a tacky non biodegradable filter oil is all thats needed. There's more chance of something going through that filter than through that mechanical seal. With biodegrades it's highly likely something can go through, as the word biodegrade means it breaks down naturally.

Most like grease though as a added measure, 20+ years ago I did the grease a time or two. Since that time on multiple bikes Checked the mechanical seal of the filters over their life everytime upon removal , never seen an issue.

Just make sure a good mechanical seal and good tacky filter oil, for less mess, and no grease melting of the filter.

My 2 pennies ,no intent to change anyones technique