Sign in to follow this  

cam holder

Anyone know where I can get a cam holder without having to buy the whole head assy? Mine is cracked, looks like I will get a spare head out of this deal though!

I don't think you can buy the cam holders seperate.

How did you crack one? Did you not have it line up with the clip?

cylinder%20head.jpg

SH doesn't list the cam holders seperate so they must come with the head.

They aren't sold separately probably because they may be machined together to match at the factory? That looks totally different from a 450 head. Do those clamps have to have a perfect fit?

They are only availabe with the head. The reason for this is that if any tolerances are off at all you will murder your cam bearings. You could have it welded but then after it would need to be line bored, which at that point it would prolly be cheaper to just buy and 05 head.

Yes, it wasn't lined up with the clip correctly. Bad thing is was I was watching for that and that it was lined up. It didn't take much torque to crack that thing. So everyone be extremely careful with them.

I thought of having it welded, but it looks like cast aluminum. Don't know how much heat that little part could take. You think it would need to be line bored?

Ugh, I just need a damn machine shop in my garage. All of this trouble just to shim a valve!!!

They make the head as one piece, then they cut the cam towers off, add the threads, then bolt it back together and line bore it. It is a VERY precise clearance they are after so you can't just bolt another on one and expect your camshaft to have a happy and long life.