Sign in to follow this  

CV carb float bowl ?

For those who have changed out their float bowl screws to socket head screws, can you drop the float bowl to change the MJ without loosening the boot clamps and rotating the carb?

You may be able to but it would be tough to do I think. Especially if the original screws are as tight as they were on mine. You'll just end up buggering the screws and need to pull the carb anyway. The carb doesn't come out nearly as hard as some folks would like to make it in my opinion. Just a little patience and wiggling and it'll come right outta there. Good luck! :)

Even with the change to the allen head bolts/screws, you still need to loosen the boots and rotate the carb. No big deal.

I have socket head screws on mine. I think it would be pretty tedious to reach the right screws with out rotating the carb. And hard to drop the bowl and re-assemble. It's easy to rotate the carb so why not do that? :)

I have socket head screws on mine. I think it would be pretty tedious to reach the right screws with out rotating the carb. And hard to drop the bowl and re-assemble. It's easy to rotate the carb so why not do that? :)

Each to his own...but if the float bowl has never been off(?) then in my experience, those screws will be tighter than hell and you can even bugger ' em up on the bench let alone trying to do it on the bike. If the screws have been out before, then, yeah, you can probably turn the carb in the boots to replace with hex-heads. Ya gotta unhook about as much stuff to turn the carb as you do to remove it...so why not just take it out so you can see what you're doin'? :p:)

drjack,

I'll let you know in about 2 hours (if everything goes well). I just did the dynojet and 3X3 mod and th 140 main gives me just a touch of "lean surge" at 75 mph in top gear and above.

In the lower gears I though I was up against the rev limiter but I think it's just a tad lean on top.

I changed the float bowl screws to allens when I modded the carb and I'm gonna try to change the main without removing the carb.

I'm putting the 142.5 stock main back in.

I'll report back in a bit.

Ray(not above grinding down some allen wrenches to make a special tool)Stedronsky

Davis, Ca

Depending on the size of your hands, yes, you can change the MJ without rotating the carb, removing the seat/tank/cables (or whatever your technique might be). I use a shortened 3 mm allen key (already changed the screws), but as others have said, if you still have the original JIS screws, no way.

OK.......

The answer is YES!

Dropped the bowl, changed the main and put it all back in abou 45 min.

Here's what I learned:

1. There's no way your gonna do this with the stock phillips head screws

2. Drain the float bowl fuel with the drain screw first so you can control where the gas goes

3. Start by working on the right front screw first (as viewed from sitting on the bike). This one you have to work blind and it's the hardest one to reach. If you can loosen this one the others will be easier.

4. Once I got the allen wrench well up into the screw on this first screw I used a small pair of vise grips to grab the short end of the allen to give me enough leverage to loosen the screw.

5. Put a rag into the space between the countershaft sprocket and the engine case. When you drop the screw during reassembly...which you probably will...it will keep the screw from finding its way into this small space and being a PITA to get back out.

Pretty straightforward otherwise.

Enjoy

Ray(working in small space is good for your karma)Stedronsky

Davis, CA

Crap....I forgot to mention that you have to unbolt the rectifier from the frame and use a bit of duct tape to hold it out of the way to get enough room to work.

It's pretty obvious but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Ray

Thanks Ray, that's just the kinda info I was looking for. 45 minutes huh? Think I'll just rotate the carb and it'll be faster.

For those who have changed out their float bowl screws to socket head screws, can you drop the float bowl to change the MJ without loosening the boot clamps and rotating the carb?

Yes! I've done it a few times. Takes me only half an hour to change the main jet now.

And btw, you can also change the needle without removing the carb. Just take the tank off and rotate the carb alittle. Basically, if you've replaced the float bowl screws to socket head screws, you shouldn't need to remove the carb again to change the jetting.