Sign in to follow this  

new rattle ACCT check how to?

just had a really loud rattle start suddenly tonight. it's a drzs 2004. wanna make sure i won't fall victim to the dreaded ACCT failure. doesn't matter if i pull the clutch in. seems to persist at low to moderate rpms. i didn't rev it high.

i'll make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight but failing that can i check the ACCT? how do i know if it's going bad?

is it ok to start it up before i'm sure?

village idiot style explanations appreciated!

i've read archives and followed these issues since i bought the bike but i'm still clueless! :)

thanks

Don't run it. Take the top cover of the cylinder head and check the cam chain for tension. The cover will expose enough of it to see. If it looks like a problem, then remove the tensioner from the side of the cylinder and check it's function. (first set the motor at TDC compression, cam lobes away from the valves) As I understand it on yours, you take the center cap off first and remove the spring, then remove the tensioner assy. There is a ratchet inside that you release to retract the push rod. When you reinstall the tensioner and reinstall the spring, it resets to the correct position as the motor turns forward (if it works correctly)

Don't run it. Take the top cover of the cylinder head and check the cam chain for tension. The cover will expose enough of it to see. If it looks like a problem,

how do i recognise a problem. cam chain is too slack?

Welllll. How do I say this without being unkind. If you can't recognize a loose cam chain you probably should not be working on your motorcycle. I'll do the best I can to describe it.

Any looseness at all is too much. It is not like the rear drive chain that has slack to allow for suspension movement. The cam chain has a spring loaded push rod that pushes against a rubber coated slipper that rubs against the chain. The spring keeps a few pounds pressure on the slipper that takes out all the slack. The tensioner has a ratchet to allow the push rod to extend to take up for wear, but will not allow the push rod to retract. If you rock the crankshaft forward and reverse a few degrees (5 to 10) using the flywheel nut (access thru the cap on the left side), the cam shaft should follow the motion almost exactly with very little lost motion. If you have a rattle due to a loose cam chain, it will be easy enough to recognize. Hope this helps.

Welllll. How do I say this without being unkind. If you can't recognize a loose cam chain you probably should not be working on your motorcycle.

yeah you're probably right. i'm a serious beginner. thanks for your patient help!

:)

Is your bike still under warranty? Since you're not sure what to look for, why not let the dealer worry about it.

Also think about the primary nut coming loose! :) This is supposedly a common problem with the DR-Z motors, although mine has been tight every time I've checked it. If the nut finally decided to come loose, it may be rattling around in the case (or something else). I'm not saying this is the problem, but it's easy to drain the oil/coolant and pull that right cover off.

Definitely do not start the bike again until you figure out where the noise is coming from! :)

thanks for your help guys. i'm embarresed to say what the problem was. of course the first thing i did was check all the obvious nuts and bolts for something loose. then i took off the skid plate.

turned out there was a rock in the skid plate that was making a heck of a rattle.

anyway, i'm gonna get the mcct asap.

thanks,

eric

haha seriously thats awesome. In the end you came out with no damage to the bike. You learned alittle about MCCTS and ACCTs. And now the bikes getting a mcct. :) Maybe alittle embarrsed but who cares