Sign in to follow this  

Shock Bushings?

I've had slop in my rear suspension linkage on my '03 for a couple rides but it hasn't been drastic enough to really figure out which pivots are wearing. This past weekend I had a friend moving the tire up and down on the stand through the excessive slop and could feel anything giving on the lower linkage but I was able to get my hand on the upper shock mount and could feel it moving more then I thought it should. So I yank the subframe yesterday and pulled the shock. I can move the bushing in the upper mount by hand a tiny bit up and down but it is mounted in rubber. Actually the bushing pressed into the lower linkage that the shock bolts through is even looser but I didn't think that was what was wearing. Should I be able to move these bushings at all by hand? Obviously they should spin but side to side and up and down movement or should they be pretty stout?

Also, how are those bushings held in? Press fit or what? The fiche on service honda is difficult for me to make out what exactly I may need...

bushing

Khris

It's common for those bushings to wear out. There are 2 seals on the top shock mount and a clip that holds the bearing in. It will only press out of one side.

The bottom bearing is just pressed in with no clip.

BTW, those are spherical bushings so they will twist but you should have no up and down movement.

Thanks for the info... I tried searching but only found a thread on if those should be greased or maintained...

When you say "twist" do you mean spin like as if it was a bearing or twist like if you grab each end of the bushing and try to twist it inside the mount? I can twist it in the 2nd way and the lower one I can twist it a lot in the 2nd way. They both spin easily like expected though. Up and down movement is minimal but I'm able to do it. Does that make sense???

Thanks again...

Khris

When you say "twist" do you mean spin like as if it was a bearing or twist like if you grab each end of the bushing and try to twist it inside the mount? I can twist it in the 2nd way and the lower one I can twist it a lot in the 2nd way. They both spin easily like expected though. Up and down movement is minimal but I'm able to do it. Does that make sense???

No, not spin it, but twist it holding both sides of the bushing.

If it spins real easy it's probably shot. Any up and down movement and it's junk.