Sign in to follow this  

Rear Spring Squeek

After a recent rainy day ride, my DR-Z400S has picked up a squeek on the rear shock. I checked for any road grime and mud; nothing found. I even sprayed penetrating oil on the top and bottom of the spring coil, but the squeek remains.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Had the same problem on one of my son's bikes. Finally figured out it was the linkage. Greased it and solved the problem.

you may also want to make sure your exhaust isn't hitting the spring.

an aftermarket exhaust will be more prone to making contact due to the increased pipe diameter.

or it's possible your subframe is a little tweaked causing the pipe to hit.

Got about 15.5k miles so far (mostly street) and I haven't yet disassembled the swingarm. Maybe it's about time to undertake that project?

Had the same problem on one of my son's bikes. Finally figured out it was the linkage. Greased it and solved the problem.

I've had the same thing with the DRZ, get out the grease gun and start pumping it into the linkage. :)

i had the rear end greased and back togerther in 30 minutes,the swing arm is easy to remove..........................

i had the rear end greased and back togerther in 30 minutes,the swing arm is easy to remove..........................

Thanks for the info. As rain is in the forecast for the rest of the week, I've now got myself a rainyday project :)

My bike is doing the same thing...about 700mi on the odo. I believe it is the rear suspension linkage. I'll be dissassembling it and regreasing it soon; doing the KX250 right now and it's been pretty easy so far. :)