Sign in to follow this  

Lift stand question

They do slide under most modern MX and Offroad bikes.

They are not strong or stable enough to stand on the bike and start it and stuff, though.

The Tusk is the same stand that's sold as an AC brand. I have 2. AC sells one on which the height is narrowly adjustable. They're OK, but that's it. You will find that you will occasionally need to scrape the mud off your skid plate in order to make the bike stable when on the stand. Also, you can save some aggravation by removing and discarding the little tab that you're supposed to be able to use to drop the stand. It won't work more than three times before it bends out of shape.

The FMF looks like it would have 2 advantages. First, it's three legged, so it will be more tolerant of being placed on an uneven surface. Second, the padding on the lift plate may be less fussy about the bottom of the bike being clean. It could be stronger, too, but I don't know.

:)

Ooo, that does look nice! I wonder how heavy it is. I didn't see a weight on there. Oh well, I already placed an order for the FMF one. :)

Do yourself a favor and buy a steel lift stand.

I've had Alum one's and they just don't hold up, either the legs bend or the lifting arm starts to bend sideways or the holes in the Alum mech. will start to oval and then they start locking in place then you have to pull the lifting lever up.

I finally went to a steel lift stand after many tries with the Alum ones. You can get them to match the color of your bike and the powder coating will look better long since the Alum ones will tarnish. The are a little heavier then a Alum one but that's not a big deal. They work better, last longer, keep their looks longer AND THEY'RE CHEAPER!

This one looks interesting too:

DRC Stand

The frame appears to be steel, based on what the welds look like. Very nice. I'm surprised they aren't asking more. It'd be nice if you could buy one without the damper, though. I'd really rather not pay for something I don't need.

I build my own stands. I try to build up a couple extra for those riding days and sell them whenever possible.

Check out my link and look at the different albums.

jsut get the regular moose aluminum bike stand dont bend stays perfect for years and all u need to do is put a little extra effort out and lift ur bike onto it instead of getttin a step up stand

Well, I'm at a slight disadvantage as I'm only 5'4" so the lift stands are going to be major plus for me. The less I have to lift, the better. That's one heavy beast of burden I have :)

That DRC stand really looks fantastic! I hope someone picks that up as a result of this thread and can let us know how well it works. The FMF stand is already on its way but if the DRC stands turns out to be light and storable enough, I may send back the FMF stand.

BTW, are you able to see that plug in move in their website? I've downloaded the plug in but still can't see it. :)

I build my own stands. I try to build up a couple extra for those riding days and sell them whenever possible.

Check out my link and look at the different albums.

I made mine too. If anyone needs the plans I can give you the link to it.

Found the website for the DRC HC Stand. I sent them an email for some more information...

http://www.drcproducts.com/

Got some more information on the stand from an email I sent.

"Thanks for your interest in the DRC HC-Stand. The stand is rated for 330 lbs. but, I have lifted many ATV's with one, and my friend starts his bike while it is sitting on the stand"

"The stand weighs 17 lbs. Yes, it is steel."

Wow, that's awesome! I think I'll see if I can cancel my other order and pick this one up. Thanks for checking that our! :)

My brother has started his Yammy on the motoboss aluminum ones from cycle gear. Just the stand that I made is more stable than that one!

10 bucks on metal, and a hour of my time welding it.

JohnB, is that picture at Club Moto? Let me know when you go out there, I'll try and go. I go out there a lot but I go on Tuesdays.

I really have to swallow my pride to ask this but here goes. I bought a lift stand today and can not for the life of me get the bike up on the stand. Actually I have to lift the bike onto the stand because the stand won't slide under the bike, but once it's up there the rear wheel is still on the ground and I can't lift the bike. I have a touring bike with a center stand and thought that it would be a similar procedure, but I just can't get it to work. For the record I'm 5'8" 150 lbs. I wouldn't think I'm too small to do it I think that there is probably a technique to do it and I'm not familiar with it. Any suggestions or better yet a video?

My friend has the DRC stand, I don't know if he got a bad one, but it very sketchy, the stands top portion where it screws into the base is a very loose threading and even with the collar hammered snug, the stand is still very tippy. His is about 2 years old though, so they may have fixed that by now, unless his was just a monday morning, or friday afternoon stand:p