should I go with honda or yamaha

Depends on the riding you do. I have a crf450 and I love it as long as the trail does not get too tight & twisty, then it is a handful. On the trails I ride most ( 6-8' wide and very sandy) I love the extra power of the 450 plus I find it much easier to loft the front end over obstacles and whoops. My friend has the WR250 and I like that better for tight stuff, but it when the trail opens up I miss the power. The 450 will tire you out faster.

As far as which brand, it is more of a preference of color and ergos. Sit on both and decide which is more comfortable to sit on. Also may want to consider the dealership location and service.

All good information. The Yamaha's do have very dated frames compared to the Honda. And the Honda is priced about $600 more. I'm itchin to get a new bike, something that can keep up with the monster bikes I've been riding with. Going to focus on the Honda and again look at the KTMs.

Do yourself a favor and check out the Husqvarnas.

I have had 10 Hondas and 4 Yamahas. Both have been great. From what I have heard, Honda is still trying to get their top end right. The Yamaha Ti valves seem to be a bit more reliable. Do I think that you can go wrong with either of these bikes?--No The aluminum frame thing is a small detail when it is all said and done. Steal will flex better than aluminum. Alum. doesn't rust and blah blah blah. Get what feels right to your body, to your wallet, and to your since of relaibility in the dealership. I started buying Yamahas because the Honda dealership in my town got snobby, and said if ya want a honda--ya gotta pay retail. So I have since bought three dirt bikes in the last month from the Yamaha guys. I like both. Out!

I currently have a 2002 WR 250. I think I want to go to a 450. I have about 4 years of hard riding behind me for experience. I am not sure if I should go to a 450 or not. Also I am thinking about switching to Honda. I am 6"1 about 200LBs. I need help.

Were you happy with your 2fiddy? I would say stick with what treats YOU right! Like everyone says, all bikes are comparable now.

I am in the same boat and wrote the same thread about a week ago"Blue or Red" I got the same answers also, I am 6'1' and 200lbs also and ride tight twisty trails with lots of rocks and tree roots and stuff. I had a 02 WR426 with a Zstart clutch that worked Great :D But now with the X and the redone WR I dont know what to do either ? I did email Jimmy Lewis of dirt rider and actually got an email back!! He told me about the same thing, the WR has the more reliable motor with a bigger hit to it and the X has more low end power and comes on easier, with better suspension and a motor that might have valve issues?? I have read alot and heard alot about these valves on the Hondas but alot of guys also dont have any problems ? I talked with the Honda mech. that I know and he said, most of it comes with racing them and overreving and dirt in the carb. So like me you are confused, they said pick your poision and have a good time ? Right now I am leaning to the X just because of how I ride but that might be different for you, so have fun and get a new bike. My dealer said $6000 for blue and $6200 for red so that is were I stand. Roost on!!!