Sign in to follow this  

Starting problems w/ '05 CRF450 w/ JD jet kit. Help?

Guys, I finally got to take my '05 out for the first time this weekend and the thing WOULD NOT start. I could smell that it was getting all loaded up. I turned the fuel screw into about 1/2 turn out. Then I turned off the choke and it started right up. Of course it ran rich all day on the bottom.

What would I need to do?

Drop the pilot jet one size?

Pull out the blue needle and switch to the red?

Other options?

The engine is completely stock except for the JD jet kit and the backfire screen being pulled out. Also I was riding in Austin, TX which is pretty close to sea level. The temps were about 70 degrees.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know from FIRST HAND experience what size pilot comes in these things stock?

That's good info but I never heard you mention that you were having the same problem that I was having. Mainly, WAYYY rich at start up.

JD, you out there????

Also, does anyone know from FIRST HAND experience what size pilot comes in these things stock?

The '05 CRF450R I tested had a #42 pilot jet straight off the showroom.

Switch to the red marked needle in the 5th from top clip position with stock pilot jet and set the fuel screw to 2 turns out as a starting point. If the bike pops out of the exhaust on deceleration when riding, switch to a #45 pilot jet. A #175 main jet would be a good starting point. Kevin did a lot of tests and his bike liked the bigger pilot and 172MJ, which has not normally been the case.

Thanks,

James