Sign in to follow this  

Silver Lake sand dunes

We would like to try out the dunes this year. We have never been there(or any dunes) before. Do we need paddle tires to really enjoy them? Is it 100% sand? Any info or pictures would be appreciated. Thanks

You dont need paddles to ride there. But they sure make life easier. A good knobby will do you just fine though. It is all sand. Loose in spots and wet / packed down in others. All the hills are loose sand. A few will give ya a challange with a knobby.

Things you will need to ride there.

1. Michigan ORV sticker. Can buy it there at the dunes.

2. Spark arested silencer that is below 94db. They do check for this there from time to time. Although I have seen a CRF450 out there with the stock silencer. So not so sure how much they check. I am guessing that on the busy weekends they look them over a bit more. Still legaly you need it.

3. Safety flag. You can get these there also. They mount to an angle bracket (that you buy seperately) on the rear axle bolt.

4. State park sticker or day pass. Can get these there.

Thats about it. There are areas of the dunes that are directional. DONT go backwards on them. They do watch and will fine you if caught. Also off limits areas. Just pay attention to the signs.

If you have a 4x4 and can get the bikes in the back of it, take the truck and bikes right into the dunes and park at the beach. That way you have your pop and food readily avaliable. Its much nicer taking a break at the truck at the beach than in the parking lot. And if its really busy there you will get into the dunes quicker if your truck is ready to go into the dunes w/ the bikes in the back. Truck will need a ORV and flag and state park sticker / day pass to enter the dunes (not the parking lot though) as well as each bike.

They have started up the last few years with this pass system. You show up in the morning and they give you a pass that will get you in the dunes at say 12:00 in the afternoon. Its a sucky system if you ask me. That is why I drive the truck and bikes right into the dunes to park. The pass system is only there because there is only so much parking space avaliable and on busy weekends it fills up fast.

Best time to go there to ride is during the week. Best time to go there to watch the crazy people with way too much money is on a holiday weekend.

what he said, but i would go with a paddel tire, i havent used them on a dirt bike yet but i have on a quad, and a truck and man are they ever worth it, i know ching shin or how ever its spelld had a pretty cheap one you can get that will do, the only thing to remember on buying them is they will ask you how many paddles, the more paddels the more bite, but if the motor is small it will take alot of power away from the bike so if its a 125 id say a 4 or 6 paddel, if its a 250 or bigger a 6, 8, 10 paddel will do nice. if you have never used paddels then the thing to remember is you now have massive traction DONT DROP THE CLUTCH you will need to slip it most times. if you drop it you will be sitting behind the bike in the dirt its like having the most sticky slicks possible with awd drive you hook up on a realy large scale. so if you want more slip then less paddels more bite more paddels. i hope this helps ya.

I have been with both paddle and not. Bike and Quad. It is a nice place. But go during the week if you don't want crowds. This way you get ride time in. And it just ain't the same as the early 80's when direction was not a rule.

Does anyone remember going in and turning right and crossing the dunes in the direction of the wind. The 50 foot plus free fall was the best. And yes I mean straight down.

do you mean the place that used to drop off inbetween the to drag area's that was straight down i dont know how far but i know i watched my buddy who was leading go off that in 6th gear, and his flag dissapeared and i thought to myself ohhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii____________ im going to die, i couldnt stop for it so just befor the edge i gassed it pulled up on the bars so i would go off it level. i landed and bent my right front shock on my banshee from the impact, and it felt like 10 realy big angry men came up and kicked my square in the sack. after rolling to a stop i rolled of the quad laying in the dirt in pain. :)

do you mean the place that used to drop off inbetween the to drag area's that was straight down i dont know how far but i know i watched my buddy who was leading go off that in 6th gear, and his flag dissapeared and i thought to myself ohhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii____________ im going to die, i couldnt stop for it so just befor the edge i gassed it pulled up on the bars so i would go off it level. i landed and bent my right front shock on my banshee from the impact, and it felt like 10 realy big angry men came up and kicked my square in the sack. after rolling to a stop i rolled of the quad laying in the dirt in pain. :)

We used to run the hils in the reverse order you have to now. And the wind in the morning would leave big overhangs on the hills that you could launch off from. But that was before rules.

yea i havent been there in about 5 or 6 years, so i hear alot from those i do know who still go there. some of the older guys say you could even ride in the big lake way back. i used to like going there in early spring when the hill were at thier tallest from all the wind and nobody riding or driving around out there. ahhh maybe this year i get a paddel and go up there.

yea i havent been there in about 5 or 6 years, so i hear alot from those i do know who still go there. some of the older guys say you could even ride in the big lake way back. i used to like going there in early spring when the hill were at thier tallest from all the wind and nobody riding or driving around out there. ahhh maybe this year i get a paddel and go up there.

Ya I have ran in the lake before but that is not fun because if you go to far the waves try to take your atc 250r 3 wheeler out with them.

yea i had my little brothers atc 90 out one day and was going down a trail we used to get from one riding area to another, and it had a stream crossing in the trail that i had crossed tons of times before, only never on the little thing with huge balloon tires. anyway i enterd the stream only to find out that hey this thing floats, and im getting washed out into the river(lucky for me it was a realy slow flowing river hehe) well long story short the little 90's seat and handel bars stayed above water and most of the fenders to, but i couldnt generate enough forward motion to go back to were i came just enough to cross the river at a small angel. after finding this out it was used sevral other times for this purpose. :)

yea i had my little brothers atc 90 out one day and was going down a trail we used to get from one riding area to another, and it had a stream crossing in the trail that i had crossed tons of times before, only never on the little thing with huge balloon tires. anyway i enterd the stream only to find out that hey this thing floats, and im getting washed out into the river(lucky for me it was a realy slow flowing river hehe) well long story short the little 90's seat and handel bars stayed above water and most of the fenders to, but i couldnt generate enough forward motion to go back to were i came just enough to cross the river at a small angel. after finding this out it was used sevral other times for this purpose. :p

That's awesome! :) I wonder if you could effectively go somewhere in the water with paddle tires :)

that thought did cross my mined, but i think the little atc might have sank with out the extra floatation from the larger balloon tires, unless you could find a balloon paddel tire. but these tires were the tiny little knobbie just the little square's. there was another draw back to the river crossing, in that once you came to shore if the ground dropped of fast from shore line the rear tires wouldnt grab traction due to the front tire against the shore hehe so you did have to get off the littel bugger or take a large stick with you to push pole your self. :) i even thought about going fishing with it hehe, but i figured if i got anything of any size it would pull me under :) not fun and lets not mention the tipsy part of the 3 wheeler. i later had a similar incident on my 230 quad sport at that same stream crossing, my front tires sank of course, and my rear tires floated, this ofcourse sucks on a 2 wheel drive quad being the rear wheels arnt getting any traction. it was later on after that i just started jumping the hole damn thing :p , i always wonderd if the nieghbors fat cat could foat though hehe

that thought did cross my mined, but i think the little atc might have sank with out the extra floatation from the larger balloon tires, unless you could find a balloon paddel tire. but these tires were the tiny little knobbie just the little square's. there was another draw back to the river crossing, in that once you came to shore if the ground dropped of fast from shore line the rear tires wouldnt grab traction due to the front tire against the shore hehe so you did have to get off the littel bugger or take a large stick with you to push pole your self. :) i even thought about going fishing with it hehe, but i figured if i got anything of any size it would pull me under :) not fun and lets not mention the tipsy part of the 3 wheeler. i later had a similar incident on my 230 quad sport at that same stream crossing, my front tires sank of course, and my rear tires floated, this ofcourse sucks on a 2 wheel drive quad being the rear wheels arnt getting any traction. it was later on after that i just started jumping the hole damn thing :p , i always wonderd if the nieghbors fat cat could foat though hehe

Ya know. I had a Banshee some years back. It was piped and ported. really fast and fun. I on occasion did encounter the floating affect that you are talking about. I managed to float across a pond that was 4' deep.

Im_a_jet_ski.jpg

Of course i was tapped out in 6th gear with paddles on. But I floated right???

This remindes me of a thing I saw on what I think was the Discovery channel. Some guys put these really tall and skinny tires (comared to the normal tires) on a monster truck and they drove it around in some river. They even raced an onld paddlewheeler.

This remindes me of a thing I saw on what I think was the Discovery channel. Some guys put these really tall and skinny tires (comared to the normal tires) on a monster truck and they drove it around in some river. They even raced an onld paddlewheeler.

That was Big Foot that raced the Paddle wheeler. On the Mississipi if memory serves me right. They had 8 of the regular monster truck wheels on that thing (2 wheels on each corner) Not skinny ones.

had a similar incident on my 230 quad sport at that same stream crossing, my front tires sank of course, and my rear tires floated,

My QuadSport would "float" too. Had to get off and hold the front up, which didn't take much work. Did a couple chest-deep crossings that way. Ah, the good ole days. To be young and dumb again (least I got over one of those)

I don't typically admit that I used to own a quad, but I had a blaster when i was younger. The last day I rode it was at silver lake attempting do pull a yzman across one of the lakes, unfortunatly my blaster wasn't a banshee and settled nicely into the bottom of the lake. And it was much deeper than 4 feet. Luckily, I hadn't owned a pair of riding boots yet, but swimming in work boots, jeans and a red street bike helmet (with winshield) proved quite the task. My friends were standing there laughing at me, telling me I looked like a flippin bobber.. LMAO, Silver lake was so much fun...

OMG, the best part of the day was my buddy towing me out of the dunes with his blazer. He thought it would be funny to pull me through one of those lakes. This one was probably 4 feet deep though, and the blaster still didn't float. He plowed through it and I gripped the bars like it was a CR500 and probably swallowed 10 gallons of water. Remember the first time you water skiied and you didn't let go of the rope, that was me. What a dick.

That was Big Foot that raced the Paddle wheeler. On the Mississipi if memory serves me right. They had 8 of the regular monster truck wheels on that thing (2 wheels on each corner) Not skinny ones.

Maybe you are right, but in any case in the same episode they put some huge a$$ wheels on the truck that used to be on some old Army snow train in northern Canada/Alaska. These wheels were something like 10ft. tall if I remember correctly, designed for VERY deep snow. They were tall and skinny. Maybe they didn't race with these tires, but they did something with them. :) I think they realized it would float from trying to cross the river with these or something.

In any case it was AWESOME to see the monster truck driving/floating around in the river. :):p:D

I know what truck you are talking about. I just happen to have a picture of it. I was standing next to it last month in Florida. That is my 8yr old standing below it.

bigfoot.jpg

I can't remember enough (long time since I saw the whole stunt) but I think those may be the wheels I am talking about. I guess skinny is not the right term to describe them. But they are proportionally skinnier than normal monster truck wheels. Typically the normal wheels are about as wide at they are tall (unless I am wrong on that too), not three times at tall as they are wide, :) so yes I think those are the ones. That's an awesome pic by the way! Hope the parking brake is on. :)