Sign in to follow this  

East Fort Rock and Christmas Valley

My roommate and I are planning a trip to East Fort Rock during the first weekend of our Spring Break. Dates right now look to be March 17th or 18th through the 21st, it all depends on OSU's final schedule, it can be a little screwy. We're considering heading over to Christmas Valley on one of those days, but we're not quite sure what the distance is, so we want to know if the drive is worthwhile. So if anyone has some info that's be great. AND if anyone has that weekend free, you are more than welcome to come on out. Camping's free and it'd be a great time, so let me know and maybe we can hook up. You'll probably be a bit faster than me, cause I've only ridden for maybe a year, but it doesn't matter, the more the merrier. Thanks again for the help.

Yz450f

The drive is almost always worthwhile. A bunch of us from Medford are going over this weekend (Presidents weekend) as it's a yearly ritual. The only time it wasn't worthwhile was last year when there was 3 inches of frozen snow on the ground. You couldn't have kept a bike uprite with training wheels on it. It is a 3 hour drive from here but I don't know what it is from Corvalis. If you had never been to either place, East Fort Rock has miles and miles of trails, But I don't know how recently they have been groomed. Try to stay off of trail 63 or 68, I can't remember which as it's miles of WHOOPS. Some one else might now the exact trail number.

Christmas Valley is desert with sand dunes out east of town, about 14 miles east. By the middle of next month the dry? lakebed should be dry-er than now. It is always fun for a short time. We will check out the rabbit population and exercise a few to get them fast enough to out run the coyotes. We can't be letting those coyotes has an easy time getting lunch.

Jim

The trip over to Xmas Valley will depend on where you are camping on the EFR OHV area. I personally don't think it's that far from any of the camp sites, and the dunes in Xmas Valley are fun to ride.

On another note, for the crew coming over this next weekend, EFR will have some areas that are icy. We got some weather in (not much but enough to snow an 1" or so) this last Saturday, and the nights have been cold since. It's blue bird weather (40's) during the day, but not warm enough up higher to melt in the shade. Some friends rode up at China Hat on Sunday and it was a bit slick. It's supposed to warm up this weekend a bit but there's some chance of moisture with it.

We plan on riding this weekend, but depending on conditions may ride 4 corners or Cline rather than go higher (EFR or China Hat).

stay away from efr for now, too icy :) most trails you cant even navigate!!! ride cline butte it is perfect right now i am there every weekend!!!

I was just over at the Millican Plateau which is indirectly connected to EFR (aka China Hat) The weather was phenominal. A little cold but beautiful all weekend. Very little snow or ice. We all go over the first weekend in April to China Hat every year.... The unfortunate thing was I lost a valve in my crf450 on late sunday afternoon somewhere around 4th gear taped. :):)

Hopefully EFR will be cleared up in a month. Keep the mild, dry weather coming. You could ride EFR now but, you're confined to just a couple of trails in the NE corner of the area. Sweetwater and I had a hell of a time navigating some of the crossover trails between 2510 and 25 (04 and 05 to be exact). 1-2 miles of solid ice! :) A good trailblazing was in order! The Millican Plateau and Cline Butte seem to be in great shape. :)

Where do most of you camp in EFR? There's a lot of dispersed camping in the NE section along Pine Mt. I'm familiar with Sand Spring too.

Rode the Millican Play Area today, killer weather and trail cond!

Dan

A group of us are planning to ride EFR in March. Coming over on a Friday night and riding all day Saturday. Any suggestions on a place to stay (LaPine?) and a route to get out there from hwy 97?

A group of us are planning to ride EFR in March. Coming over on a Friday night and riding all day Saturday. Any suggestions on a place to stay (LaPine?) and a route to get out there from hwy 97?

When in March are you heading over? We'll be there saturday the 19th.

I'm not sure if there's a clean and clear route from LaPine to EFR. If you're coming in from WA, stay away from LaPine. 2510 staging area is about 30 mins from Bend. Shack up at the Sleep Inn on the east side of Bend (Hwy 20). In the morn, head straight east on Hwy 20 for 18 miles, right on Spencer Wells Rd. (or wherever the OHV signs are) and continue for another 6-7 miles to any of the northern staging areas. Coming from LaPine is all slow-going backroads and lodging is mostly lame.

Good luck and maybe we'll see you next month,

Dan

When in March are you heading over? We'll be there saturday the 19th.

We are planning the 19th as well. Should be a half dozen of us or so.

I'm not sure if there's a clean and clear route from LaPine to EFR. If you're coming in from WA, stay away from LaPine. 2510 staging area is about 30 mins from Bend. Shack up at the Sleep Inn on the east side of Bend (Hwy 20). In the morn, head straight east on Hwy 20 for 18 miles, right on Spencer Wells Rd. (or wherever the OHV signs are) and continue for another 6-7 miles to any of the northern staging areas. Coming from LaPine is all slow-going backroads and lodging is mostly lame.

Good luck and maybe we'll see you next month,

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I had talked to someone who said they would run straight out of Sunriver. We were looking to do something similar and make EFR part of a circular route from somewhere close to Hwy 97. Do you know anything about the riding from 97 say past Paulina Lake to EFR? We have topo software but that only tells you so much. Just wondering what there is to see on the way and if it is worth it. Thanks for your advice.

Greg