Sign in to follow this  

Best protection from offroad pants

I know there has been alot of talk about over the boot or under the boot pants, but my question is what do you guys use for the best protection when riding tight trails, a branch across the leg really hurts when the speed is up, and I would like to know what you offroad/trail riders are using.

I just got O'neil Method pants and Jersey. I haven't been able to ride in them yet. The pants seem really heavy duty. I was surprised, they look like they'll really take a beating. The Jersey is more style than everything, but it should allow good airflow.

I would never consider riding without boots. I haven't been riding that long, but I know I probably would have broken my ankle or at least severly sprained it had I not been wearing them.

Yesterday we were teaching my mom to ride in a field near the house, and even that made me nervous, ,there was a sandy corner, and I was afraid to put my foot downa nd get to aggressive aroudn the corner.

I have boots,knee pads,chest protector, bark busters with guards.

I found knee pads to be great. Even falling in soft dirt my knees were taking a beating. The pads have really helped out and improved confidence.

I use the THOR Static pants which are over the boot. Very nice and have pockets to carry stuff. I also wear all the other gear. Getting hurt is no fun.

Any of you poor like me and cant even afford a jersey? (I do have gloves helmet, and goggles.

I'm not a slave to the newest MX fashions, and can't see spending a lot on gear that is going to get trashed. The higher priced gear, especially pants are definitely made better (stronger) and that's important when getting stuck or scraped with pointy things.

If you're budget is tight, look for the closeout sections of any of the online stores. You can usually find the good stuff for almost half the price. I've bought spare jerseys for $15 dollars.

I'll PM some sites for you if you want them out of respect for the fact that I type this in the shadow of the TT store. :)

I'd spend the $ on knee and elbow pads rather than riding pants and jersey, providing you can fit the pads under the garments properly.

Helmet with chin guard, real boots, and eye protection are a must. Buy used, save $. Plastic safety glasses don't look cool, but think of what an ass you'd look like if an errant rock took out your eye. Not to mention the pain- hurts just to think about it. Add a chest protector to the list of highly suggested items.

Do not spend your money on stuff to make your bike look cool, graphics and shiny things will not matter if you break your elbow. Safety gear comes first.

Keep you eyes peeled, and don't be afraid to ask folks at your local riding area if they have old gear they'd like to donate to a good cause- you. I rode for a couple years in decade+ old riding pants, jerseys, gloves, chest protector, and helmet that were given to me. Matter of fact, I just gave a pair of 80's style light blue boots, pink and purple chest protector, hot pink/blue striped pants/jerseys to a friend's nephew for his first bike. He'll look like a dork until he can afford something newer, but it beats the heck out of the painful alternative. Or in his case, not being allowed to ride.

I would never ride in the dirt with out BOOTS! they are a must have item like the helmet and goggles.

I wear Thor pants and shirt mainly cuz I'm lazy about cleaning stuff and figured I destroy all my other outdoor gear unless I had stuff just for the bike.

I spent some time on the ICE this year, I now ride with my Hockey ELBOW pads and will probably ride the dirt with them this summer also.

They fit nicely under my shirt cuz I got an over sized one to start with so I can put some warmer layers on underneath if I need to.

Funny thing is I get more geared up to ride the dirt than I do the street, I wear my sneeks when I'm just busting around the streets in tha hood.

I live in NH so I ride the street with no helmet some times, it helps me keep the front tire down...

Helmet, boots, pants, chest protector, gloves. I learned to use a kidney belt the hard way. I will probably be adding knee/shin pads after smashing my knee and skinning my leg a few months ago. In the future I will only buy pants with hip padding.

Cheaper than new feet though.... :)

Amen. Off road riding without the most basic of gear and that includes boots is not very smart. I don't know if fallen angel is a minor or not? But if'n you were my kid you would have boots on your feet or you wouldn't be riding. And if you are not a minor? Then forgo some gas-in-the-tank money until you can get some decent riding boots because amputated feet are way more of a pain than sacraficing some ride time and saving a few bucks for riding boots. :)