Sign in to follow this  

Let's talk chains

What does it all mean? O-ring I understand. But X ring and S ring? How do I choose the best chain for my bike?

Also...how can I determine the available sprocket ratios that will work with a 110 link chain?

What does it all mean? O-ring I understand. But X ring and S ring?---X ring, W ring, S ring (never heard of S) represent different seal shapes of the more or less "O" ring sealed chains. If you look at the cross section of the seal ring it will look like X, W or whatever. The X and W are suppose to hold more grease in the seal ring and have more seal lips with less seal pressure. The seal rings last longer.

How do I choose the best chain for my bike? ---Name brand, then price. More you pay, the more you get.

Also...how can I determine the available sprocket ratios that will work with a 110 link chain? --- I don't know. Why are you asking about 110? Standard length is 112. Apparently 15/40 to 13/50 fit with the 112.

Actually the original chain is a pretty good item. Mine went over 5000 tough miles and really probably didn't need replacing when it did but I put on new sprockets and figured I might as well start fresh all the way around on the drive system. I use a D.I.D. X-Ring Gold with Renthal sprockets. I think I paid about $70 for this chain. As to the X and the Gold I think they are more marketing ploys, etc. but probably have something to do with the chain design. I guess I haven't heard of the "S" chain but that doesn't mean there's not one out there? The plates on the D.I.D. chain are gold in color. And, the original chain length is 112. I clean mine with kerosene and use Belray lube. As the other guy said I think with chains the more you pay the better the quality and if kept cleaned, lubed and adjusted will last a long time. :)

O & X ring refer to the cross section shape of the rubber sealing rings between the plates. The X Rings are better because the have a lower friction level (& therefore more power gets to the back wheel), and they seal better because of 2 contact points each side, instead of the O-rings one.

Personally I won't ever use another plain O-ring chain again, they sap too much power, don't seal the grease in the chain very well (and once the grease has come out the chain wears out very fast), and cost only a little less than the much better X ring.

I've had 30,000 miles out of a DID X-ring chain on my TDM850 streetbike (and twins are supposidly hard on chains) with nothin' more than using Kal-Guard Chian Kote lubricant.

Never heard of S ring before

Hope this helps

While were on this topic which I know vary little about. My "03" (bought used) has an o-ring chain ( OEM?).It can't have more than 900mi.on it but its vary rusty. Are there O-ring, X-ring, chains that don't rust (I.E. Stainless,anodized,etc...) :)