Sign in to follow this  

Hotcams Stage 1 noisy?

I just installed a stage 1 cam in my '05 CRF and the valve lash as well as the decompresser is spot on. I have noticed some valve noise/ticking at idle, I emailed hotcams and they said their cams make a lot more noise than the stock cam. Has anyone else installed a hot cam and noticed this? Other than the noise that is scaring the crap out of me, it runs great! :)

The install is really easy, if you can adjust your valves then the only thing different is you slip out the old cam and slide in the new cam then adjust your valves. It is made to work with your stock valvetrain, the stage2 isn't. The power difference is awsome, I really liked the stock power but did wish it had just a little bit more power right off the bottom so I could avoid downshifting/slipping the clutch in some corners, the cam definately did it! :) It rips off the bottom throug the mid range and if it does have a little less top end I sure don't notice it, it definately made the power broader. Definately better power gains than any pipe I have ever tried at a quarter of the price! :p

Now about this cam making the top end noisier.....anybody........ :)

I don't know what the specs are on this cam, but I imagine it has a more aggressive ramp (more lift compared to duration) profile. If you have the lash set correctly you should be ok. Is it really noisy, or just little more than stock? This will probably be my next mod also :)

I am just hearing a distinct clack,clack,clack at idle, to tell you the truth it may have always been there I just might be more aware of sounds right now. I say that I only hear it at idle because when I rev it up the exhaust drowns out any other sounds but I gueass it could still be there. I thought I remember reading a post from Ron Hamp that the stage 1 cam had a more progressive ramp and may actually lead to longer valve life, I tried the search and couldn't find it though, I might be wrong.

As I said before other than the sound that has me worried, the cam definately gave it lots of power in the the low to mid ranges. :)

I am just hearing a distinct clack,clack,clack at idle, to tell you the truth it may have always been there I just might be more aware of sounds right now. I say that I only hear it at idle because when I rev it up the exhaust drowns out any other sounds but I gueass it could still be there. I thought I remember reading a post from Ron Hamp that the stage 1 cam had a more progressive ramp and may actually lead to longer valve life, I tried the search and couldn't find it though, I might be wrong.

As I said before other than the sound that has me worried, the cam definately gave it lots of power in the the low to mid ranges. :)

i remember that post and thats part of the reason i went with the stage 1.i just installed mine this weekend with rhc porting job and new topend,been breaking it in and the only time i got on it was in 3rd on a wet street and i couldnt get it hooked up :) i almost cried when i saw what it did to my new s12

Nice review.

I just installed my stage 1 yesterday, and can't wait to ride it. I haven't even started the bike with the new cam since my wheels are off for hub polishing and gold Excel rim install.

I have never hit the rev limiter that I know of, and love to lug the bike around the track and trail with torque, so for $120 it sounds like the best money you can spend on a bike. The thought of spending $500 for a pipe that gives you enough noise to get a track shut down and another 1-2 horsepower that I'm not good enough to use seems wasteful, and I'm rich!

My exhaust valve clearance went from .010 to .008 with the new cam, so I reshimmed them, but my intake never changed from one cam to another.