Sign in to follow this  

thumbs up to YZman400

I was having troubles with starting my CRF450 in the cold and couldnt find alternate starter jets at the local honda or yamaha dealers. YZman sent me to a website for the parts. I went from a stock #72 to two sizes larger to a #77 and now the bike starts easier than it does in the summer.

I also ordered the #75 which I may try during the spring and fall for easier starts.

Thanks YZman :):)

Glad that worked for ya. :)

It's amazing how many people refuse to believe what that jet along with the proper pilot, main, and clip pos will do for them.

I figured it out last year with the help of Indy_Wr450 and have been preaching it ever since.

Yeah I have found this forumla to work well for the Yamaha 450 engines with FCR carbs:

#75 starter jet - 30 to 40 degrees

#72 starter jet - 40 to 50 degrees

#70 starter jet - 50 to 60 degrees

#68 starter jet - 60 to 70 degrees

#65 starter jet - 70 + degrees

It is really nice to use the e-start without having to touch the throttle and she fire ups quickly and easily not matter what the weather. :)

Yeah I have found this forumla to work well for the Yamaha 450 engines with FCR carbs:

#75 starter jet - 30 to 40 degrees

#72 starter jet - 40 to 50 degrees

#70 starter jet - 50 to 60 degrees

#68 starter jet - 60 to 70 degrees

#65 starter jet - 70 + degrees

So would thouse jet sizes apply to a YZ426 also?

So would thouse jet sizes apply to a YZ426 also?

I kinda doubt it. Whatever your stock size is go up like 3 sizes in sub 20 deg weather.

My stock size is a 65 and I use a 72 in the winter and a 68 in the fall spring. I am not quite as picky as Indy with my jetting. :)