Sign in to follow this  

100 octane pump gas

I was wondering if higher octane fuel should increase power in a DRZ S ? The reason I'm asking is because one of the local gas stations sells 100 octane leaded fuel, normally I run 93 octane leaded. I've been running the 100 for a couple of miles now but really can't feel anything different :) I remember somebody metioning that you need higher comp to make use of higher octane fuel so maybe that's why, ah well it wasx worth a try.

The simple answer is no. You need higher compression to make more power. The high octaine gas allows you to use higher compression. The fuel itself has no more power in it.

And could actually cost you a minor loss in power. You need to use the octane required by the engine. Nothing more and nothing less.

And could actually cost you a minor loss in power. You need to use the octane required by the engine. Nothing more and nothing less.

humm, that's interesting. So those Octane boosters are a waste?

BTW, what is the octane recomendation for the DR-Z? Is it different for the E and S?

The S model requires 91 octane or higher (US) or 87 octane for Canada. Also unleaded gasoline can extend spark plug and exhaust life.

Nah, your not going to get power performance inprovement with a S running 100 leaded pump.

If you get the more expensive race fuel leaded types a cup or so pertank, they have very good cleaning ability and the lead powder residue may aide with valve recession.

I've utilized on my klx more than 20,000 miles , but not for a power performance boost.

humm, that's interesting. So those Octane boosters are a waste?
They boost octane. But you shouldn't use it unless your application requires more octane than what you have avaliable.
BTW, what is the octane recomendation for the DR-Z? Is it different for the E and S?
min 91 for E and kicker models

min 87 for S models

Canada models are no different. :)

im running vp ulitemate 4 in my crf.it was worth 2hp and 2 ft lbs.its leaded,highly oxgenated,and 92 octane.

its also $10.25 a gallon. :)

im running vp ulitemate 4 in my crf.it was worth 2hp and 2 ft lbs.its leaded,highly oxgenated,and 92 octane.

its also $10.25 a gallon. :)

ever run it in you drz?? I have a few times and feel it makes the bike way more snappy.

Isn't It 87 OT for an S? Thats what my book says, its CA. ???????????????

ever run it in you drz?? I have a few times and feel it makes the bike way more snappy.

no,it isnt enough octane.

the crf cams are way more agressive so the cylinder pressure isnt crazy.

no,it isnt enough octane.

the crf cams are way more agressive so the cylinder pressure isnt crazy.

What about with 12.5:1 Is vp4 good if jetted correctly? And you would go richer on the main because of the increased O2 right???

What about with 12.5:1 Is vp4 good if jetted correctly? And you would go richer on the main because of the increased O2 right???

yes,its fine.2 sizes bigger main jet.

The S model requires 91 octane or higher (US) or 87 octane for Canada. Also unleaded gasoline can extend spark plug and exhaust life.

Why does the US model require 91? Does it have higher compression?