Sign in to follow this  

cold weather starting

I was having trouble starting my 03crf450 in the cold michigan weather, in fact it would not start unless I placed a heater by the engine first.

a fellow TT'r directed me to "http://www.powersportspro.com/" where I could order larger starter jets. Honda does not list alternate starter jets (AKA by-pilot jets). I actually ordered the jets from the parts numbers for a YZF450. After inserting a #77 (2 sizes larger than the stock size), the bike now starts easier than in the summer riding.

Just thought I would pass this info on.

does that change effect anything else. does it ride/run/idle just the same? is that jet only used during starting? what is the part # for a #77? or a 1 size larger instead of 2 , #76?

my 2003 came with a 72 starter jet. YZMAN400 sent me the following:

"I checked the Yamaha #'s for starter jets. You will probably have to order these but they are avaliable.

75 starter jet #Y3TJ-1494F-17-00

78 starter jet #Y3TJ-1494F-18-00

80 starter jet #Y3TJ-1494F-19-00

82 starter jet #Y3TJ-1494F-20-00

I found this thru www.powersportspro.com I looked up a 2002 yz426 and a 03 YZ450. They have them listed in sizes from #62 thru #82. It is jet #22 for the 02 yz426 and jet 21 for the 03 yz450 on there online microfish. I am 90% sure that these are the same jets that your Honda takes as they are all pretty much the same carbs on the new 4-strokes."

I went to that web site and ordered the 75 and 78. Installed the 78 first and that did the trick in 30F and colder weather. They were like $10 a piece plus $5 each for shipping.

I had already rejetted according to my JD jetting kit for cold weather. I think the starter jet only affects the starting circuit.