Sign in to follow this  

What class to race?

I am going to try and run a full season of D-11 harescrambles this season. Last year I raced a local series in the heavy weight novice class and won the series in my class. I also ran a few D-11's in the heavy weight novice class and normaly placed top 3 in those.

Should I race the four stroke class or stay back and race a full series in the heavy weight novice class? Your opinions please.

I am going to try and run a full season of D-11 harescrambles this season. Last year I raced a local series in the heavy weight novice class and won the series in my class. I also ran a few D-11's in the heavy weight novice class and normaly placed top 3 in those.

Should I race the four stroke class or stay back and race a full series in the heavy weight novice class? Your opinions please.

why are you still interested in racing novice? if you been placing or winning, why don't you stop sandbagging and move up a class?

I am not sandbagging. I cannot win at will. Last year was my first year racing and even then I didn't get to race an entire season of D-11 events which is much more different and competetive than a local series. I didn't know if I would be better off to get a full season in the novice class under my belt or should I move up now and pay my dues?

I didn't know if I would be better off to get a full season in the novice class under my belt or should I move up now and pay my dues?

well, here is my .02 worth. take it with a few grains of salt knowing that to me, trophies are scrap-metal, and the only thing i care about is getting better, and riding as fast and as well as i can:

i would get out of the novice class as fast as you can. not only is it safer, but you'll find when you are surrounded by faster riders, you are challenged to focus more and ride better. my rule of thumb has been to move up as soon as it looks like i'll usually be on the podium. to me, 1 great race could be a fluke, but 2 good results in a row usually means it's tame to see how i stack up on the next level.

fwiw, i just moved up to expert (dezert) and A (enduro). i'm definitely not going to set the world on fire in expert, but after my first expert race, i feel way more focused on improvement, and i feel like i learned alot more than i would have by continuing to race amateur class, and judging by the results, i would have pretty easily won the amateur 40+ class, so i think it was wise to upgrade. i've done a total of 4 harescrambles and 7 enduros.

i found the same thing to be true in mtn bike racing. by moving up quickly (i only raced once in beginner, and got 1 podium spot in 10 or so races in sport class), i surrounded myself with much better riders, and got to do the longer and more challenging (and more fun) courses.

so now you know where i'm coming from. your results may vary. whatever you decide to do, good luck in the upcoming season.

-mark

What fun is it to beat people you already know you can beat? And as was said above you get better quicker by racing better racers. :)

I would move up if I were you. Since you are riding the whole series, you'll be eligible for the year end awards which they do not have in the novice class (I think, double check the website to be sure). Why race 20 plus races in a class that won't give you a plaque or trophy for the garage? Besides, keep the novice class for guys like me who only race 4 or 5 times a year :)

Race whatever class you feel comfortable with & concentrate on conditioning for you and proper bike set up. Move up when you feel ready!!, unless you plan on getting very serious about racing full time then don't take the fun out of it by putting to much pressure on yourself. :)

OK, thanks guys. I was pretty much set on moving up untill my dad said something about it a few nights ago and made me second guess myself. It's definite. This Sunday I'll be in the four stroke class.

Your reasonings for moving up matched the ones I previously had, and now have once again.