Sign in to follow this  

Liability?

If I take a friend riding to a state park and they seriously hurt themselves riding a bike that I provided can they sue me?

Once again I wonder why people ask professional questions of non professionals. Does anyone have any hot stock tips, I have a few grand laying around I want to triple, but cannot stand to lose, if I lose it I will lose my house.

Consult a professional, whatever you do do not feel better because someone on TT said you cannot get sued. If you are negligent, you can be held liable. PERIOD. Did you take them to trails above their ability, did a mechanical failure on your equipment cause them harm or damages (pain, loss of work, etc), could reasonable maintenence or care on your part prevented the incident.......

Whatever the answer, you can be sued, and you will need a lawyer to protect yourself, whether you are found negligent is another story. You still hire a lawyer, miss work for court, etc regardless if you are negligent or not.

Our country is becoming a self-blame free area.....everything is someone elses fault. Did you have a heart attack after being fat, lazy, and sedentary, with hypertension, diabetes, and smoking cigarettes while eating McDonalds every day? It's not your fault....Sue Phillip Morris, McDonalds, and of course your family physician. Duh.

If he's going to crash one of your bikes and then sue you for it, he's no friend. If there's any doubt in your mind the clown might do this, don't take him.

Once again I wonder why people ask professional questions of non professionals

They ask because the depth of knowledge on TT is pretty impressive and you often get good information. You didn't hesitate to reply with your "answers" and opinions on the original question. "Consulting a professional" before taking someone on a trail ride just isn't realistic. And as you and others have stated, this issue is not very complex. Yes, you might be sued if something goes wrong. Consider the person in question before making a decision. I'm always cautious, but also don't think I can or should live my life trying to avoid potential liability.

Yes, you can.

I just spoke to my insurance guy about this yesterday. If I let some one ride my bike and something happens, I can be held liable. We were speaking about theft insurance, but the subject came up.

If your buddy rides your bike and gets hurt, if he has insurance, you bet his insurance will try to get money from you some how.

If he does not have insurance then the bills may get to be too much for him and he has to sue you to keep from going bankrupt.

It could happen.

Don't let anyone ride your bike if you have a concern about it.

Once again I wonder why people ask professional questions of non professionals.

You'd be surprised at how many professionals are on this site. Maybe you have the misconception that anyone who rides dirt must be some half-brain blue collar redneck who rides his bike barefoot in cut-off shorts with a 12 gauge in his lap... :)

Most people seek opinions on here as a place to start their inquiries, in which case they are usually given some good direction.

I understand your point and if I post the question "Will it hurt if I pour salt in my eyes?" and everyone says "NO" and I follow through with it, then I deserve to suffer the consequences.

Yes, they can. They may or may not win, that will depend on the situation.

Lets say, for sake of argument, the bike you lend him has the throttle stick open, causing a nasty crash, or the brakes were to fail. You could easily be held liable for this, because it is assumed that you would not loan out a bike that could be considered a safety hazard. Your friend may not sue you, but what happens if the brakes fail, and he hits some lawyer? Wheter or not you knew about the problem may not make you free from liability.

I, for one, don't like taking that risk, so I carry insurance on my bike. I believe the cost is somewhere around $50-$60 per year, and carries liability insurance (to pay for any damage/harm done to anything my bike hits) as well as medical insurance (to pay for any injury done to the rider of the bike). In this day of big dollar lawsuits, I feel it is a small price to pay. The insurance company has their own lawyers, and can (and will) be able to fight a lawsuit that isn't right. With no insurance, you can win the lawsuit, yet still be out for legal fees.