ttr250 exhaust

I'm looking at upgrading the exhaust on my ttr 250 and not sure whether it's worthwhile to upgrade the header pipe...to me it doensn't look like the restriction in the exhaust as the muffler seems to be the most restrictive. What would you guys recommend for an exhbaust power upgrade that's not going to be annoyingly noisy?

Mike

05 ttr250

Do you know what jet they used (size/part #)? Also is your exhaust reasonably quiet? I'm planning on dual sporting my bike and then using it to scout around in the woods for hunting and I'd prefer not to scare everthing away before I see it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Mike

If your going to use the bike to scout around the woods for hunting. I think Your better off keeping the stock exhaust, this will keep your noise level around 82dBA. I think most if not all the after market pipes for this bike regardless of the quite inserts will have dBA levels in the 90's.

I think the Quiet series is around 94 db (they guarantee less than 96 but I think the TT-R250 was less).

Its not loud (like my neighbors Harley ? ) but its louder than stock. I agree on the stock system being the most quiet (I referred to mine as sounding like a sewing machine). I like the sound it makes now.

I really don't know the jet sizes it ended up with. I had a jetting whiz do it I have known for over 20 years and basically told him to make it run right (which he did).

I just installed the Pro Circuit T4 pipe and I like it. It requires no jetting just adjust the air pilot screw out a little more. The pipe is tunable, but I'm sure it's not much to notice. It also has the quiet core about 94db.The bike runs great with no issues. ?

I might add about the Big Gun header (which I used with their silencer). On the TT-R250 it is shorter than the stock and the way it wraps around the cylinder you can easily burn nice holes in pants (personal experience). I burned two nice oval holes in two pairs of sweat pants riding it around the neighborhood (weather has been crappy so when we have a break in it I wanted to ride it a bit). With MX boots its not an issue though.

Anyway I ordered a neat little bolt-on heat shield that FMF makes for their headers.

https://www.fmfracing.com/products/catalog.aspx?CategoryID=50

I went with Big Gun's header because if you went to the whole system they promised 5HP when jetted. I was skeptical but after riding I don't doubt them. It cost a bit more, but the whole system delivered was about $330 which is as much as some of the higher priced slip-ons.

Their header is a stepped design and shorter. It starts out smaller than stock and does a couple of step ups to meet with the silencer pipe (which is stock diameter).

Either the slip-ons or entire systems make a world of difference on these bikes.

I might add about the Big Gun header (which I used with their silencer). On the TT-R250 it is shorter than the stock and the way it wraps around the cylinder you can easily burn nice holes in pants (personal experience). I burned two nice oval holes in two pairs of sweat pants riding it around the neighborhood (weather has been crappy so when we have a break in it I wanted to ride it a bit). With MX boots its not an issue though.

Anyway I ordered a neat little bolt-on heat shield that FMF makes for their headers.

https://www.fmfracing.com/products/catalog.aspx?CategoryID=50

Will the FMF heat shield work on your Big Gun exhaust header?

Yes, thats what I bought it for. The stocker header has one on it (heat shield). The Big Gun did not. With boots it wasn't a problem but when riding on our street when working on it etc I managed to burn two holes in two pants (the cuffs would end up touching the header itself, not my leg so I never got burned)

Here is pic of it on my bike:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dhamblin/TTr250/fmfheat.JPG

Yes, there is a strap (glorified hose clamp). They pass through a metal stand-off. These are clamped onto the header. The standoff is threaded and a bolt goes through the shield and ties it together. Took less than 5 minutes to install.

I'll look into the frame guards. I thought about some clear stick-on plastic but figured that would not last long!

http://www.fmfracing.com/tech_instructions/misc/heatshield.pdf

Yes, thats what I bought it for. The stocker header has one on it (heat shield). The Big Gun did not. With boots it wasn't a problem but when riding on our street when working on it etc I managed to burn two holes in two pants (the cuffs would end up touching the header itself, not my leg so I never got burned)

Here is pic of it on my bike:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dhamblin/TTr250/fmfheat.JPG

Ok I see, I thought it bolted right to the header and I didn't see the clamps on the FMF website. Thanks it's good to know that I can use one of those when we decide to replace that car muffler that the TTR comes with stock.

hi, on that throttle restrictor is it easy to find and back out, also is pilot screw visable or have to be drilled. I put on t-4 exhaust free flow filter slightly larger jet and did not notice much exept for noise, front end still does not want to come up easily in 2nd and third. thanks

Look up under the left side on the carb where the throttle cables connect. On the rotary valve that opens the throttle slide, you will see a stop-screw (rotate the throttle and see where it stops). You can back this screw out or even remove it.

I am not sure you will ever get a 3rd gear power wheelie out of a TT-R250 (unless you use the clutch and a good yank on the bars), but you should see a nice pick-up in response.

I also added some additional vents in airbox to help that as well.

It may be, I only rode in field next door when muddy, first jet i put in was drilled to large , I am still experimenting, may go back to stock jet see how it reacts then find dealer who has larger jets instead of drilling them myself.

I think i am spoiled after riding wr 250, love that power but at 47 years old and the west virginia tight woods riding the ttr will do fine, still leaving my friends 420 ktm and 520 husky behind in the tight stuff, but would like 10 more hp in the uphill sections.

I can understand that, the last bike I had was a 610 husky and it was a big adjustment. Even though I don't have the power any more. I love riding the TT-R250 it does every thing I want it to.

One of the many things I like about the bike is I can ride it hard on the trail 4 hours straight. No arm pump and I don't feel physically wore out by the bike and You can also ride forever on a tank of gas.

This bike can go fast in it's own way you just have to really rev this bike out from gear to gear.