Sign in to follow this  

Riding Street Bikes

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone who owns a street bike feels uncomfortable riding. I was considering getting a BMW 1200, but I felt real uncomfortable riding in traffic. I've had street bikes in the past and have always felt this way, but now it resonates to the bone.

Suggestions for dealing with my dilemma.

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone who owns a street bike feels uncomfortable riding. I was considering getting a BMW 1200, but I felt real uncomfortable riding in traffic. I've had street bikes in the past and have always felt this way, but now it resonates to the bone.

Suggestions for dealing with my dilemma.

If your uncomfortable in traffic why would you want a Street Bike?? Stay in the dirt Rocks and Trees dont seem to jump in front of you the way cars do.. :)

I know this stuff is obvious but I might as well say it:

1. Ride like you are invisible...

2. Stay out of blind spots whenever possible.

3. Always have an escape route planned.... always ride with a few fingers on the brake when going through intersections.

4. Wear some body armor... get yourself a fieldsheer jacket for the summer or at least a bad ass back protector and you will feel alot better.

5. Remember that there are very few unavoidable accidents on city streets... being rear ended and having a car turn in front of you are the worst ones.

I used to ride a scooter in high school in Seattle... I dont know what the hell I was thinking.

Now I ride my DRZ all the time in town... it is alot of fun. But you can never daydream, never relax, and never drink.

I have been riding street bikes for 21 years now, and to be honest I feel allot safer on my street bike, off road riding you are allot more apt to crash doing something that you would never do on a street bike(goes with out saying), as for the other cars on the road, they don't look for you, you have to look for them, but you can stop faster and accelerate faster and swerve better, accidents do happen, but if you ride with common sense and follow the laws of the road, riding on the street is very safe IMO.

Was wondering if anyone who owns a street bike feels uncomfortable riding.

not me. i've put in 80,000-ish miles of street riding i think, never really had any problems. most of this riding was in norcal, much of it in north bay traffic, which is pretty bad. as wax says, you have to pay the f*$& attention, but if you do that, street riding is pretty safe imho. people do turn left in front of you. that's why you have to pay close attention on busy streets where people can turn left. i have had plenty of people turn left in front of me, but i was always ready for it.

I've been riding on the street for almost 30 years and the only thing I do differently than what was said above is that I don't ride like I'm invisible. I ride like everyone can see me and is trying to hit me. When going through an intersection I try to go through it with a car that I can use for a blocker. I expect the moron up ahead to pull out as soon as I'm within 20' and I'm surprised when they don't. I wear an old set of my roadracing gloves with titanium knuckles and I'll dang sure smack someones car to get thier attention if need be. If you ride smart you should be ok. :)

Ride like your invisible???? You gotta be Shi77ing me!!! That is the worst advice I have seen on here. Make yourself as visible as possible. The biggest statement at a Bike VS Car accident is I didn't see him! Now you suggest ride like your invisible???? Man I wish some people had a read only computer and couldn't post their thoughts. People would get killed if they listened to some of the amateurish posts on here. Sorry for ranting but holy crap!! Ride like your invisible???????????????????????????????????????????? MIKE

Ride like your invisible????

I think what he meant was: Ride like you are invisible to other drivers. You know, pretend like they can't see you and act accordingly.

That's how I took it anyway.

Ride like your invisible???? You gotta be Shi77ing me!!! That is the worst advice I have seen on here. Make yourself as visible as possible. The biggest statement at a Bike VS Car accident is I didn't see him! Now you suggest ride like your invisible???? Man I wish some people had a read only computer and couldn't post their thoughts. People would get killed if they listened to some of the amateurish posts on here. Sorry for ranting but holy crap!! Ride like your invisible???????????????????????????????????????????? MIKE

I think what the previous poster was saying is to ride as though no one can see you,vigilantly defensive.I have heard this saying many times,always understood it to mean to expect car drivers to behave as though they do not see you.

When i just ride in traffic i almost get taken out all the time! When i ride offensively and do my own thing less close calls! Been riding the 405 fwy for almost 20 yrs straight rain or shine! Freeways are higher speeds but i feel they are safer because everyone is traveling the SAME direction! Been in one Accident and it was on city street where someone PULLED out in front of me and i broadsided the truck right @ the front left wheel, got launched over 60' down the street! Was very lucky to come away with minor bruises!

Here's me going to work!

http://www.fastlaner.com/4fl/flv/flv000pg/fl075vpg320.htm

Freeways are higher speeds but i feel they are safer because everyone is traveling the SAME direction!

I used to think that until I drove past an accident where a guy had high-sided a Jersey barrier into oncoming traffic on I-25. Somebody must have turned into his lane and bumped him accross the median. His bike stayed on the southbound side of the freeway, but his body flew over the median into 65 MPH traffic coming in the opposite direction. It was the most gruesome MC accident I've ever seen, and I couldn't ride my spaghetti rocket for weeks.

The only thing i can say is at least it was fast!

Everyone worrys about streetbikes?? What about the people that died in the metrolink train crash? I guess they thought that it was a safe way to travel?

Shit happens every day! LIVE LIFE TO IT"S FULLEST! :)

I never felt comfortable riding in traffic on a street bike. I never felt comfortable on a bicycle either. It's ok to consider that no one can see you and ride defensively in response but it's an entirely different story when it comes to them seeing you and thinking it's funny to see how close they can get. I felt much more comfortable trading paint (on occasion) at 100+ mph while road racing than I ever did riding at 25mph on the street.

The facts are, for bikes and autos alike, most of all fatal accidents happen 1) at intersections and 2) on two-lane highways during the day on clear, dry, straight roads. The point is, ride fast if you want, but slow down at all intersections and driveways, whether or not you see any other vehicles. And also, watch out for people crossing the double-yellow on two-lane highways.

I learned how to ride a motorcycle in a small city with little traffic, so when I moved to a big city with heavy traffic, I thought it would be would be sketchy. But I got used to it pretty quick, its not that bad.

Yeah ... I didnt mean turn on your cloaking device and wear all black at night with no lights on....

What I meant was ride like no one can see you.... like anyone is going to pull out in front of you at any time.

I apply the same to animals... in my world all deer are on a human-killing mission. They are the animal world equivalent of suicide bombers and jump in front of moving vehicles so they can go to heaven and have 72 unspoiled Doe's for their pleasure.

I would love to buy you a cup of some delicious decaffinated coffee Mike.... you wont even be able to tell the difference.

OMG your such a tool!!!! if your scared to ride a street bike just like your afraid to pass somebody in a car why would you even bother? im just playin J dont sweat it so much. if you really want it get it, but i have to be honest bud, i really dont see the point.

learn to chill bud and everything will be all good:) see ya thursday :)

I would love to buy you a cup of some delicious decaffinated coffee Mike.... you wont even be able to tell the difference.

And if that doesn't work I'll get some Vs for ya, yes, people Should think before they post, everyone.

My street safty technique? The the best strategy for me is to drive straight into the first Ford automobile I see at the highest possible speed.

I too, know what you meant (WAX 808) and it is good advice. Just brush off what Mike said, he's the one who needs the "Read Only Computer"!