Sign in to follow this  

Renthal fat bars and handgaurds

Im not getting much form the General forum on this so I thought I would try here...

I have Renthal fat bars and purchased alluminum hand gaurds for them. I am hoping to avoid cutting the bars shorter to make the handgaurds work. Has anybody done this using something to take up the small space bewteen the bar and the clamp?

Greg, not sure I understand the question........where are you having problems? The space in the clamp is on which end? Inner bar mounts or triple clamp mounts? :)

The bar clamps are to loose with the extra lenght of the stock bar and dont grab the bar. It says they are made to fit 29-31" bars. If the basr were shorter the clamps would be grabbing on part of the bar that is a little larger diameter.

Can I use something to wrap around the bars to make up the difference in diameter or do I have to shorten the bars up?

This is tough to put into words...

Greg, I think I understand. The inner bar clamps are loose because the bars are over 31" wide. Right? How far away are they from the point that they will grip? When you tighten them up, do they contact each other before they get tight?

Greg,

1. You could grind away part of the mating surfaces on the two bar clamps if they are contacting each other.

2. You could "flatten" out the hand guards a little to gain the reach needed, if it's not too far.

3. You could add in a piece of flat bar as an "extension" of sorts to the inner end of the handguard to "lengthen" the reach. Probably not a good option as it would sacrifice handguard strength.

4. What you are trying to avoid, I assume; cut the bars.

5. Can't think of a good solid wrap of some kind to build up the bar thickness where needed. Seems like any kind of tape would crush too much, and then possibly allow movement (twisting) in the event of crash. :)

Just my thoughts.......

There is about 1/2mm difference with the clamps all the closed now.

I was thinking some of that heavy duty rubber gasket material, cut into a strip and wrpped around the bar so it fits flush but was hoping somebody had tried it... Grinding down the clamp mating surface would work but it wont grab all the way around the bar and may create a week spot?

My initial thought was duct tape...

I think I'd try the rubber strip coupled with grinding down the clamps a little. Duct tape is going to decompose and ooze nastyness over time.

I went and poked around at Kragen and found some do-it-yourself gasket material. Its a cork and black rubber composite sheet about .75mm thick. I just cut a strip as wide as the clamp cut it to length and it seems to work perfect.

A little loctite on the screws and I think it will work. Feels solid. Ill throw some photos of it up here tomorrow.

Problem solved. Thanks for the help.