Sign in to follow this  

Yikes! I need to remove the subframe to set the sag??

That's what the manual says but is there a less involved way of doing this? Man, I don't want a bizillion pieces littering the garage with the kids running around in there. If that is the only way to do this then I guess I'll do it when they're in bed tonight or something.

You can sneak a flat blade screwdriver in there. I use one the has the edge dulled with a grinder.

Use the screwdriver and a BFH to loosen the top collar. You can use your hands to tighten up the lower spring collar if the bike is on a stand. I grab the spring and turn it, the collar usually spins with the spring.

When the sag is correct use the BFH and the screwdriver to tighten the top collar against the bottom collar.

Setting the sag is very important for getting a bike to steer and handle well.

Whew, I was hoping to hear that!

Wait, I'm assuming BFH is a Big **** Hammer? -lol! I hope so, b/c I've got one of those. :)

Yeah, I hope setting the sag will make a difference in handling. I was falling all over the place yesterday (although, I can't entirely blame that on the sag :) )

setting the sag correctly will help in the handling dept. Especially if it is sagging to much thus taking weight off the front end...... I resprung my bike and set the sag correctly and boy what a difference it made. You should not have a problem doing it without removing the subframe...... :)

I recommend using a piece of aluminum bar in place of the screwdriver to avoid beating up the ring nuts on the shock. I use a 10" length of 1 X 1/8 flat stock. When the end of it gets beat up, I cut a slice off the end to restore it. It also slips less than a screwdriver blade. :)

I had to loosen the subframe to get the angle to hit the lock nut to loosen it (I used an old screwdriver and hammer). You can easily turn the adjusting nut down without moving anything. retrospectively, you probably can unlock it without removing the subframe, but it is a hard angle to get. You can just loosen the bolt on the top of the subfram and swing it up out of the way enough to loosen it.

Biggest hassle with the subframe is that you have to put it back on so you can sit on it to check the sag. If you do it like the book says (remove subframe), it seems to me you would have to remove/replace the subframe several times until you got the adjustment correct.

I think I'm going to need some man hands for this job. I've been banging away on that top ring and it just ain't movin'. Even the gas cap was so tight that I had to thump it with the screwdriver handle. God only knows how tight the ring is.

My husband won't be home until Saturday so I'll keep banging away and hope that I get it before then. :)

I had quite an adventure looking for the dipstick today to check my oil- lol! Coming from a 2-stroke and mtn bikes, the whole oil in the frame thing was quite bizarre to me. It wasn't until I turned the wheel the other way, that I finally saw where it was. :D:D Boy, did I feel dumb! And I have a feeling I'm going to have a few more "dumb" episodes. :):p

You shouldn't have to bang TOO hard, but a fairly big hammer does help (I used about a 2 lb hammer). make sure that you are hitting the ring on a tangent. You want to fit the screwdriver/drift pin or whatever against one of the teeth, but you want to have the driver on a tangent (perpendicular to the radius) so that it will rotate the ring. A few firm taps should loosen it up bit. Once you get it to move even a few milimeters it will then start to go much easier.

Make sure you are hitting in the right direction.

Rightsy tightsy, leftsy loosey.

Sometimes the upper collar takes the lower collar with it and won't loosen easily.

Well, after about 20 mins of continuous banging, I finally got it to loosen up but I didn't have a chance to take any meaurements yet.

By any chance, does anyone know what the settings should be for a 180lb rider. I've got my compression at 12 clicks on the shock but I haven't touched the forks yet. Most of my riding is going to be typical east coast stuff- roots, rocks, ruts, tight, twisty trails. Thanks!