Sign in to follow this  

straightened my subframe slightly with a sledge hammer?

I posted previously about my slightly cockeyed subframe but the posting disappeared. Burned and Bronco said that I should just rebend it back. I attempted to do so with an 8' bar. Subframe bent back but then snapped back to its crooked state. I checked previous posts on hitting the subframe hard with a sledge hammer but was concerned about breaking any welds.

Ends up I used my sledge hammer on it as I couldn't bend it back nor use the wt. of the bike to bend it back over a rock. :)

I hit the S*&t out of the subframe right above the can and it moved back slightly. The rear tail light now looks less crooked. I'm just wondering if while I was hitting the snot out of the bike, I did any damage to the subframe. How can I tell. I didn't see any noticeable cracks in the subframe welds.

TIA,

Paul

From what I've read here bending the subframe is a common occurance that people who ride hard, experience repeatedly. Therefore not something they obsess too much about. This is reflected in Bronco's posts. If I were you I would straighten it the best I could, check the welds,(all of which it sounds like you've already done), button it up and ride. Think of that slight tweek like a hockey player thinks about a scar or a missing tooth. :)