Sign in to follow this  

1988 xr80 Firing

Wondering if anyone can give me some help on a firing problem on my xr80.

Just installed new rings on a bike I acquired to fix up for my sone. I am not getting any spark when kicking it over. I've been wondering if the kill switch wasn't bad. So as I was kicking it I started pressing and releasing the kill switch (really out of desperation). I noticed that every now and then I would get a spark. However, if I kick it normally I never get one, or if I kick it holding down the kill switch I never get one. I have cleaned the contacts on the kill switch, no avail. I have also cleaned the points contacts. The points looked good. This is a bike I acquired and am fixing up for my son.

Any idea's where to look? I hated to go buy parts not knowing exactly where to start. Kind of thought about the condensor but didnt know the symptoms of a bad one.

By the way, whats the correct process to set the points on these bikes? The lobe that opens the points comes off with the flywheel.

Sounds like a fouled plug, replace it. Put points and a new condenser into it as well.

You dont remove the flywheel to set the timing, you work through the little window. You can remove the flywheel and time the ignition, if you get an old flywheel, remove the advance cam, and slide it on the crankshaft to work the points.

Robert :)