Sign in to follow this  

Getting over new fears for an older rider

I have a question for some of you guys getting back into riding after a long break from it. I used to ride allot when I was younger, about 12-15 years ago, and was a pretty good rider then, I have just started getting back into riding and find that I now have fears of doing things that I used to do all the time, like jumps, wheelies(going over backwards), riding on gravel roads, I am only trail riding, but would really like to get over these fears that keep me from doing things that I know how to do, and used to be pretty good at, did any of you ever have this problem, if so did anything help?

Only 1 thing will help- puttin' on miles!

I don't do near as much jumping as I did years ago- I do plenty of wheelies, though!

Dave

I have a question for some of you guys getting back into riding after a long break from it. I used to ride allot when I was younger, about 12-15 years ago, and was a pretty good rider then, I have just started getting back into riding and find that I now have fears of doing things that I used to do all the time, like jumps, wheelies(going over backwards), riding on gravel roads, I am only trail riding, but would really like to get over these fears that keep me from doing things that I know how to do, and used to be pretty good at, did any of you ever have this problem, if so did anything help?

Go slow. You don't know how to do those things. You use to know, but that was a long time ago. Do you think ice skaters or gymnists take a 12 year break and then return as good as before with back flips? You will learn fast but there is reason that you have fears cause 1) your brain is telling you that it has been a long time and 2) You are smarter as you are older. :)

I wouldn't say I had fears but my abilities had suffered after not riding for 8 years. I knew I wasn't capable of doing the things I used to so I started off slowly. What helped me the most was getting back on a race track :) . Another 10 years and I might get back to where I was. :)

I used to jump like a loon. Now, when I go riding with my 18 year old son, he'll point to a jump and I'll answer, "what jump? I don't see any jump!" I also tell him I've never seen a "double" and have no idea what he's talking about. The need to report to work every Monday has toned down my riding style. On the plus side, I rarely go down and enjoy riding as much as I ever have.

My advice- relax and have fun. That's what you bought a motorcycle for in the first place.

I got back into riding after 16 years also..The way I see it Fear is your friend. After such a hiatus your skills are sure to be rusty at best, and your fear may keep you from riding in excess of your ability, and keep you from being hurt. Then again I like to keep the rubber side down.. :)

Just ride as hard as you feel comfortable riding, the confidence will return. I had a hard time with this as well, and I got hurt trying to ride like I did when I was younger :) Just don't rush it, it will come.

think thats harsh, at my age now, im scared out of wits end, and have a few years easy riding under my belt. I gots no balls with the bike, i let it intimidate me :) . Practice builds confidence though, just have fun.

I'm 33 and have only been riding for 4-5 months, my previous experience on bikes could be counted on one hand, I know fear (read common sence)keeps me safe, I ride to my own ability and push my own boundries, if I was riding with 100 other riders I would be in the bottom 5-10 percent, but who cares, if I'm having fun and go home happy I've suceeded at what I set out to do. :)

Thanks for the advice, I am glad to hear that I am not alone on this, I have been taking it slowly, just after the day is done, I look back and think how easy everything used to be. and what used to be "when in doubt, more gas" has now become "when in doubt, don't do it", just kinda sucks having the mind of a 20 year old and the body of a 40 year old....hope to overcome the problems with time.

I wouldn't worry about it to much.

Trail riding an XR250 is not really that dangerous.

Just go out there and have some fun.

I started back riding this Summer after a 20 year layoff. I raced mx back in the 70's and 80's and was a pretty good rider. My son (6) started riding a couple of years ago and I bought a bike for myself (CFR250R) so we could ride together. We ride the mx tracks almost exclusively, he on the peewee track of course. I've pretty much had to re-learn riding...the basic skills themselves and four-stroke riding techniques. One of the big differences for me is my perception of speed, and altitude for that matter. I have a friend that is virtually the same speed/ability as myself. When we're on the track together, it seems like we're flying. When I stop and watch him ride, I come to the realization that I'm an old spode. What I perceive as fast and high isn't really all of that fast or high anymore.

Ultimately, for me, I've just got be to careful not to let my ego/pride get in the way. You know, not writing checks my 42-year-old-body can't cash. It's like "ID" said, "fear is my friend". Now I do the stuff that I know I can do and the rest will come later. I started off "rolling" everything back in September and now I'm backsiding table-tops and "tame" doubles routinely, triples...that's another story, I'll leave that for the young guys.

The most important thing is to find a bike you are comfortable with. Once you find that magic bike the rest will be easy. I just started racing again after a year off (with only a couple months that time and a couple months of racing 4 years before that) and found that I was too timid on my 250SX. The solution was to buy a 2004 Husky CR125 due mostly to a great deal at the time and ride that for a while. Now I am comfortable on the track again and back to racing the 250. I went from a "where did the rest of my group go" rider to battling mid-pack and even up towards the front in 3 weeks. The confidence that the 125 put in me has really made it a lot easier to ride the 250 at race pace.

take it slow learn your bike get better and just do it.

"Doo it. Doo it."

in my best Starsky and Hutch voice. :)

i'm in the same boat....

i just started riding 1 month ago (36years old..never rode in my life).... this past weekend we went trail riding, but started off on some hills. :)

it's definitely intimidating.

any advice on the hills?

thanks

Ride,Ride,Ride!!, & stay in your comfort zone + don't feel to bad I've been riding & racing for almost 4 decades nonstop but I'm not willing to do ALOT!! of the stunts I did when I was younger but I'm still having fun & thats the most important thing. :)

Smart man!!!

I am back in the asylum also. :p

Had a CB500F on summer for about 6-8 of riding in '87. Had a '78 Honda Hawk fall of '89. Also had a XS650 in '90-91 but didn't ride it that much. So I have less than a full year of riding when I got back into it after Thanksgiving 2004. I was SHOCKED :) at how awkward I felt on it the first couple of times. To the point where I wondered if I had made a mistake getting back into bikes. Naaah :)

I have put on almost 400 miles (in winter) just around about a 20-mile radius of where I live, mostly on the weekends. Not much for some, but a lot for me. I still muff a shift once in a while. I'm not trying to pull any wheelies or drag race, I'm just working on smoothness and control. Just give it time--and take a MSF course. I quit riding the last time because I knew that I didn't know enough, but didn't know where to get additional help. I'll be in the course on the weekend of March 11th. I'm looking forward to getting more help and meeting other riders in the course.

i'm in the same boat....

i just started riding 1 month ago (36years old..never rode in my life).... this past weekend we went trail riding, but started off on some hills. :)

it's definitely intimidating.

any advice on the hills?

thanks

Up or down the problem? :p

Hills get MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH less steep the more you ride. Perception is everything. Or are you talking about in the mountains? Cuz I'd be scared too.

big up? Stay in the meat of the power bound and keep DOWN on the seat! (rookies always want to stand up) You NEED that traction. Press down hard with your legs on the pegs, forcing the wheel down.

downhills? As long as you can keep from sliding you can go down amazingly steep hills with very little drama, use compression braking to control speed if needed, tap the rear brake as needed. stay off the front! :)