Sign in to follow this  

Getting over new fears for an older rider

i started riding dirt last summer after a 20 year break. just as you i was alot wilder at a younger age, now with the mortgage, and kid, i take things alot slower. just ride your own ride, and things will come about eventually. at 40 i don't heal as fast as i used to at 20,lol. :)

It's all about seat time, the more you ride, the more comfortable you get with your bike. You learn the limits of your bike, what it can and can't do, how it tuns, and stops, the power curve. Give it time, it will get better!

Dude, I hear ya. Im pretty green too. Only riding 1 yr. And that was on an old wore out yz 125. Pretty hard to get hurt on that old thing.. I could run faster than it could go.. :p . But this is my second season and what the hell do I do. :D I went out and got a used, way too fast, Yz250 :) I crashed it on my 3rd lap around my shop. "overgriped it, feet fell off pegs, wheelied, locked up the front disk, and slid into and partway threw the shop roll up door. :) It scared me pretty good. All I hoped for was to survive the wreck and be able to go to work monday. I am the only bread winner for our house. I like to keep that in mind when im out riding. I dont have anithing to prove to anione. Sure accidents will happen and do. But why try to ride outside your skill level? I wont. I ride to enjoy, not to break bones. Aniways that is my own opinion.

I have a question for some of you guys getting back into riding after a long break from it. I used to ride allot when I was younger, about 12-15 years ago, and was a pretty good rider then, I have just started getting back into riding and find that I now have fears of doing things that I used to do all the time, like jumps, wheelies(going over backwards), riding on gravel roads, I am only trail riding, but would really like to get over these fears that keep me from doing things that I know how to do, and used to be pretty good at, did any of you ever have this problem, if so did anything help?

jumps: start off on small jumps, and slowly work your way up to slightly larger jumps. you got nuthin' to prove, be sane.

wheelies: find a long, slight incline. practice going up hill. uphill wheelies are way easier and less scary

riding on dirt roads: never lose your fear of riding on dirt roads. if you didn't fear it as a youngster, it was only because you were young and stupid. be slow and cautious, especially if there's any chance at all that cars or truck MIGHT be sharing that road.

Just my 2 cents, I started riding again in August after 20 years! My first trip with my '04 CRF 450 was to a track, and it was a wrong move. I read over and over about how easy four strokes were, and I had trained for about 6 weeks, and I thought I would have the VET class licked, it's always hard to admit when you're wrong, and I was WRONG! I was afraid to jump anything over about three feet. Since then I only get to ride about twice a month, mostly trails and one more trip to the track, I havn't spent that much time in the saddle, but confidence wise, I'm about 200% improved. It's is just a matter of time and seat time. Take it slow if you're not comfortable with the speed, trail or jump, just don't do it until you get comfortable. I've been truning pretty good speed the last couple of times out, started getting a little too cocky and ended up on my head ten days ago, so next time out I'll go easy again! Take it slow, and ride with your head, sometimes just relaxing a bit helps also! The outing that I fell hard the baby was up all night the night before teething, and I never felt comfortable, that was the perfect time to just trail ride and have fun. From now on, I think I'll follow my own advice! good luck and happy riding :)

I have a question for some of you guys getting back into riding after a long break from it. I used to ride allot when I was younger, about 12-15 years ago, and was a pretty good rider then, I have just started getting back into riding and find that I now have fears of doing things that I used to do all the time, like jumps, wheelies(going over backwards), riding on gravel roads, I am only trail riding, but would really like to get over these fears that keep me from doing things that I know how to do, and used to be pretty good at, did any of you ever have this problem, if so did anything help?

I just got back into dirt biking last month. I MX'd from 1967 to 1984 and was street-only from then until Santa brought me a CRF230 to play with last Christmas. I'm 59 years old, so am fully aware that my eyesight & reflexes have deteriorated, and if I break something, it's gonna hurt a lot and take a long time to heal...

The "fear" you have is nothing more than the common sense part of your brain talking. You're a lot more mature than you were 15 years ago and most likely have a lot more responsibilities, and your mind knows this. It's just telling you to take it easy until you get your old skills back. You didn't get to your former skill level in a month or two, so why expect it now?

I have found that I know some things that I should be doing, but have trouble communicating it to my body! One of the biggest problem is make myself relax and not grip the bars so tight. I know that I should let the bike move around a bunch and that it probably knows better than me how to get out of many situations, but I still find myself tensing up in a lot of the time. I can force myself to relax, but just a few minutes later I'm clamping the bars again. Another thing is coming back slowly is that the throttle will get you out of more troubles than the brakes, but again it is getting better.

Besides a few < 1 hour rides, I've gone out on two 5+ hour rides the past two weekends. The second weekend was much better than the first as far as getting the "feel" back for dirt biking, although I obviously pushed the envelope a little too far and crashed a few times. By the time we finished, I was so exhausted that I wasn't sure if I had the energy to ride home (we can legally ride dirt bikes on the street so long as we're going to/from a riding area, stay off the main roads, and don't ride like a complete idiot).

So, just take it easy, build up your skills slowly, and eventually it will all come together again.

Above all else.....have fun!!! :)

Cheers,

Mac