Sign in to follow this  

Reed, Schmeed. Is it just me?

I don't have anything against Reed, but I've picked up on a trait of his that I can't stand in a pro motocross competitor. He won't EVER admit that he considers other riders in any way. Whenever he's asked about other riders, he gives a conditioned response. I could bet HUGE money on it and win, if that were a betting item.

If a journalist were to ask him if he was impressed with Rick's or Bubba's speed, he'd say, "I haven't really thought about him. I've been working on my own thing." (and some further stuff about himself)

If they asked him if he was concerned about another rider in any way, he would say, "No, something about me me me me me."

If they asked him anything at all about being a real human being and having human feelings and considerations, he would say, "No. Me me me me me me."

He wants to act too cool for school, and too matter of fact. Nobody's that dull and that boring. He's hiding something.

He's not genuine. He's got genuine speed, but he's not honest when he's interviewed. That's a defensive strategy to keep the competition from knowing his thoughts and thereby, hopefully, his game plan. WEAK!!! Why do I think it's weak? Travis Pastrana!!

Yes, you read that right. Travis Pastrana. Travis will say things like, "Heck yes! Ricky is blazing fast! He's so amazing!! I watch him all the time! I'm looking forward to racing with him! Oh, I was bummed when that guy got hurt! I hope he's okay! I'm nervous as heck! Bubba is so talented! I was scared out of my mind, but I hit that jump anyway, and pulled it off!! There are a lot of awesome riders here tonight. I hope I do well. I'm going to try to win! I read an article about that rider!! He's great! etc.

Travis is genuine. He's a knucklehead, but he's honest with the press. Therefore, Reed rubs me the wrong way with his dull, predictable, defensive strategy. I can't be the only one who's noticed this. Anyone, anyone, Beuler?

i think he just doesn't want to say anything that will start a biatch fest. As for talking about himself, he is a motocross racer. his job is to win, and to do that he concentrates on himself. Is he egocentric? probably. is he the only one? - hell no. Most profesional racers of any sport are real competitive and their ego gets boosted and lost when they race.

Reed seems nice to me, he is no pastrana, i'll admitt, but he has a hell of alot more personality than charmichael.

This thread os stupid, i don't care what they are like, as long as they are putting it down on the track, thats what counts.....

chris

Yeah, but there is that personality or celebrity aspect of pro Supercross. That's why they interview the riders before and after the races. If it were ONLY about the race results, there would be no interviews or personality to get behind. Just a body out there on the track with a number on it. Yes, race results are ultimately where it's at for a championship. But that's not all there is to the sport for the fans. I'm just posting about his guarded personality, because I see it as a weakness, and I think it's insulting because he doesn't pull it off well. I want to see if anybody else sees the same thing. I don't mean it as a bashing session. He's the second fastest motocrosser in the world, after all. Well, if you consider Bubba, Reed's most likely third. That's pretty dang respectable, no matter what the personality is like.

What?? In his interview he admitted that RC was kicking his butt... And he always seems to acknowledge that he is not up to par. I see RC always talking about he is the best etc. etc. IMO Ricky is all full of himself!

What's with all the anti-Reed crap lately? The guy is blindly fast, never stuffs anyone, is pleasant and stays out of trouble off the track, yet all I read on TT is what an overrated jerk he is. Give it a rest... :)

I think Reed used to be a prick, but he has polished his act up since then. His dream is to be the best and he's not realizing his dream. He used to be cocky, now he's being schooled. I might be a little melancholy if it was me. As for Carmichael. I think he's polished his act up as well. He sounds a lot better when being interviewed. Pastrana he ain't, but he's getting really popular with the fans and hes got the goods to back it up. I really like listening to James Stewart too. His personality is almost trippy for lack of a better word.

What?? In his interview he admitted that RC was kicking his butt... And he always seems to acknowledge that he is not up to par. I see RC always talking about he is the best etc. etc. IMO Ricky is all full of himself!

I agree about Reed. He stated at the last race Ricky was kicking his butt.

I disagree about Ricky being full of himself though, I don't think he comes across like that. Even if he did he can back it up.

Did you see the on board camera they had on him at the last race? He was going insanely fast!!!!! :)

Been an RC fan for a long time, Like the dedication and the dirve, I LOVE the on board camera, In my dreams thats what I see :) . Never quite warmed up to Reed, which is odd cause I have liked every Aussie I've ever met, but I have a new appreciation for him this year, i think he comes off with class when you are that good it must really hurt to admit to yourself that you got whipped. I like the personalities; some of that is how I choose to root for a guy, it's all part of the show! FWIW I think both of them are pretty genuine, but they have a LOT of pressure to be corprate spokespersons, so they have to choose what they say carefully, I think CR is not quite happy with his bike set up yet ( maybe he was overconfident maybe he just had no idea how fast Ricky would be, maybe the new frame takes more geting used to than he thought) but do you really think he is gonna stand on the podium and say that? To his credit he says "I got beat" and I am gonna have to figure something out :)

I think last years championship (Reed's) should have an asterik next to it that tells everyone looking at the history books that Ricky was out for an injury.

Sorry no asterisk, part of being champ is competing all season as big an RC fan as I am, he didn't compete so the championship was up for grabs!

IMO. Each racer seems to have a pre-canned response to journalist on the ESPN coverage. The more in-depth interviews in the MX mags seem to give better perspective on the riders personal views of his competitors and himself.

I think what bothers me the most is how canned the interviews appear. Each one is the same. "My Team blah, blah Suzuki was running awesome. I'd like to thank blah, blah, blah for making this win possible."

I have these races recorded on the DVR and I just fast forward through the blah, blah interviews.

John

I hate when they interview Reed after a race. He's robotic, win lose or indifferent, he sounds the same. I bet he's a really nice guy if you heard an interview in a relaxed setting away from the track, but I think it's true he doesn't come across as likable. He has the same conditioned response, with no heart, week in and week out. I thnik he's a great rider, He came from last to second two weeks ago, that is smoking. But like Reed said he gets beaten by a freak of nature, the winningest rider of all time RC!!!! Bubba has the talent to be the best, speed to be the best, heart to be the best, potential to be the best, but up until now RC is the best ever, :) hands down!

I think last years championship (Reed's) should have an asterik next to it that tells everyone looking at the history books that Ricky was out for an injury.

get real mate maybe all of rickys titles should have an asterisk as ricky johnson david bailey and jeff ward didnt ride your a fool ........

Yes, you read that right. Travis Pastrana. Travis will say things like, "Heck yes! Ricky is blazing fast! He's so amazing!! I watch him all the time! I'm looking forward to racing with him! Oh, I was bummed when that guy got hurt! I hope he's okay! I'm nervous as heck! Bubba is so talented! I was scared out of my mind, but I hit that jump anyway, and pulled it off!! There are a lot of awesome riders here tonight. I hope I do well. I'm going to try to win! I read an article about that rider!! He's great! etc.

Travis is genuine. He's a knucklehead, but he's honest with the press. Therefore, Reed rubs me the wrong way with his dull, predictable, defensive strategy. I can't be the only one who's noticed this. Anyone, anyone, Beuler?

supercross is a mind game also .......travis can say what he likes ,he may be genuine ,he maybe a knuckle head and he will never be the 250 supercross champ either unlike chad

get real mate maybe all of rickys titles should have an asterisk as ricky johnson david bailey and jeff ward didnt ride your a fool ........

I agree! Hey maybe RC's '03 SX title ought to have an asterisk next to it telling how CR blew his doors off in the final 5 or 6 (I can't remember the number) races when they were both healthy! Or, maybe we should just accept the fact that they are humans and like all humans, they have good days and bad. Sometimes you're the windsheild, sometimes you're the bug... :)

I think Reed lost too much weight. IIRC they said he lost 30lbs..........

Yep, me too. I mean, yes, he is going to need to be in incredible cardio-vascular shape to run with RC, but I think he looks weak because he is so thin.

I am a Reed fan. I think he is genuine. Yes, he does talk about himself during interviews, but that is what anyone with the drive to win and being so close to RC has to focus on; himself, not the other guy. Besides, have you ever really listened to an RC interview?.....me me me, i'm the best, that was sort of a challenge, thanks to makita suzuki...

Yeah, Ricky gives some pretty canned responses, too. He's been well trained on what to say and what not to say. He's boring to listen to, but for some reason, not offensive like Reed is for me. I guess if Ricky denied the obvious, I'd resent it, but he doesn't seem to do that. He'll admit when Bubba has his attention, etc. You know Ricky sees that he has things in control by now, but it's just not wise to ever admit that. Murphy will stomp you into a grease spot as soon as you do. Thus the famous quote from a popular black book, "Pride cometh before a great fall."