Reed, Schmeed. Is it just me?

Yeah, Ricky gives some pretty canned responses, too. He's been well trained on what to say and what not to say. He's boring to listen to, but for some reason, not offensive like Reed is for me. I guess if Ricky denied the obvious, I'd resent it, but he doesn't seem to do that. He'll admit when Bubba has his attention, etc. You know Ricky sees that he has things in control by now, but it's just not wise to ever admit that. Murphy will stomp you into a grease spot as soon as you do. Thus the famous quote from a popular black book, "Pride cometh before a great fall."
are you hearing what reed is saying. the way you describe things ,i cant see how you could be. when is he ever offensive to anybody. just what do you expect from your sports stars?

Hey poocow, read my post again, then watch another Reed interview. I pegged him right on the money. I understand he's from your homeland, but it's not about that. A simple and accurate observation of a guarded interview style. Nothing more, nothing less.

Talking about what to say, I'm sure Millsaps is probably taking a week long course at speaking, he made a major mistake, he never thanked his sponsors, not one mention. When Ricky crashed at Anaheim one, his podium speech seemed like he was riding more for Suzuki, more than himself, maybe that's how he motivates himself. I think he wants Suzuki to look good, and he is doing that!

It definately seems as though some are better at interviews than others. These guys race dirtbikes and have to learn this aspect as well. You can see the ones that are comfortable and the ones that are not. When they are uncomfortable and stiff they come off as arrogant. Pastrana is so chill and positive and happy about riding a bike that it is a love fest with him ever time. He has the personality for the camera. Others just want to ride the bike and are so concentrated it is hard for them to even speak let alone remember the politically correct things that a professional athlete needs to say in an interview. ?

As for Carmichael. I think he's polished his act up as well. He sounds a lot better when being interviewed. QUOTE]

I noticed this too. Before I couldn't listen to him on the podium as it came off as "me,me,me.....". Now, he looks like he's having a lot of fun and thankful just to be on the podium.

It makes me think he had some coaching on this issue. If he did, that was a previously weak point in his game and it has certainly picked up. He has become an ambassidor for whoever he sponsors, and I'd have to comment he's become a pretty good one.

Hey poocow, read my post again, then watch another Reed interview. I pegged him right on the money. I understand he's from your homeland, but it's not about that. A simple and accurate observation of a guarded interview style. Nothing more, nothing less.
i read it again. you say you have nothing against reed and then you call him self centerd, inconsiderate,less than genuine,boring ,dishonest,deceptive and finally weak because he,s not a goofball like pastrana.i think you! should read your post again. and as for ricky, i think he does a good job in post race interviews.they are all different in their interview style because they are all different people. chad is calm and focused,thats all.

Been an RC fan for a long time, Like the dedication and the dirve, I LOVE the on board camera, In my dreams thats what I see ? . Never quite warmed up to Reed, which is odd cause I have liked every Aussie I've ever met, but I have a new appreciation for him this year, i think he comes off with class when you are that good it must really hurt to admit to yourself that you got whipped. I like the personalities; some of that is how I choose to root for a guy, it's all part of the show! FWIW I think both of them are pretty genuine, but they have a LOT of pressure to be corprate spokespersons, so they have to choose what they say carefully, I think CR is not quite happy with his bike set up yet ( maybe he was overconfident maybe he just had no idea how fast Ricky would be, maybe the new frame takes more geting used to than he thought) but do you really think he is gonna stand on the podium and say that? To his credit he says "I got beat" and I am gonna have to figure something out ?
now beef706 seems to to have a reasonable grip on reality. re,read this one sawdaddy.

• 2 weeks later...

If you think about the interviews back in the days of Hannah, or DeCoster, Marty Smith, Howerton, Bradshaw... they've come a long way. I've been pulling for Reed since he came over here, particularly after the Bubba thing at Unadilla. The guy deserves a lot of credit for stepping up his speed the last two seasons. If you take RC out of the picture, he'd have a helluva resume.

But, back to the point. I think that Reed and RC give each other the proper respect, and they've both been quick to point out that when they get beat, they just plain got beat and need to figure out how to go faster to keep up. But, you can tell when they don't want to answer a question. I remember an interview when Reed was asked a question... I think it was about when he switched helmets during a SX back in '02, and he gave one of the canned responses that amounted to nothing. And when he was asked the question again, he said something like "I know... I just didn't want to answer that question".

It seems like they want to be nice, they give each other respect, but they are careful not to say anything that makes them or their sponsors look bad.When they get a little uncomfortable with a question, they just pull out the cue cards. "...I want to thank Bridgestone, Thor, Parts Unlimited..."

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ (for sale)

well first of all the dude is an aussie. Next it is impossible for anyone to really understand what it is to compete on that level. 3rd. If i was kicking down the cash like he was I'd say what ever my sponsers wanted me to say. 4th. He spoke pretty loud when he won the race this week.

You have to have some self confidence to race on this level. so ease up on the boys. they live under constant pressure. You must believe in yourself.

I think both reed and Carmichael are about as humble as they can be doing what they do. Now bubba on the other had...Cocky hope he chills out.

Dave out

Remember that interview with Reed after he had shoulder surgery?

Watch that again and it will change your mind.

Reed states that he knows how Ricky felt after he broke his knee. Except that he feels a lot more fortunate than him because Reed is only out for 2 or so races, while Ricky was out for a whole season. But Chad does state that he is hell bummed that he doesn't get to race against Ricky in supercross. He was really looking for a great battle. But I guess Windham stepped up the pace for Reed which made it interesting.

I LOVE the on board camera, In my dreams thats what I see ? .

I wish they'd do the whole show with views from various helmet cams. Fantastic view when RC blew by MC in the air. Reminded me of Pastrana and Windham last year. Awesome.