Sign in to follow this  

Went To Dez, Saw The Light!

My son and i took a buddy from here in modesto to spangler hills, teagle wash on thursday and came back sunday, what a trip!!! None of us had ever been to the desert before. We pulled in and set up by a group called four aces. As people kept coming in on friday, more and more we finally asked and found out there was a district 36 race saturday and sunday. We looked like dorks asking "whats going on around here". I think we were the only people there that were not racing, didnt matter though as there was plenty of room to stay out of the way. All of us agreed that it was the best dirt ever! the more it rained the stickier it got, miles of little sand washes, hills, technical rocky stuff, it was great! One of the things I could not get enough of was opening the drz400 all the way up in top gear and holding it down for a minute or so, i couldnt believe how much the bars would swap back and forth in the soft stuff, little unnerving at first but just dont try to correct and let it go and it goes right through. I quickly learned the first time she went into the shakes the thing not to do is to back off the throttle abruptly and let the front end dig in, saw my life flash before my eyes and got really close to a ugly high side but once i figured it out, it was on!. Our first trip to the hills found us on the top of this mountain, freezing wet, shrouded in clouds so we could no longer see the valley, the three of us pointing in three different directions, yep were lost and on top of that here we are about fifteen miles from camp and I look down to see a front flat! No matter though, I was having so much fun I just laughed the whole way back riding with the flat, through the washes it didnt really bother that much and a couple of hours we found camp. On top of all this jet fighters flying all over the place on thursday, WHAT A BLAST. Dont have the first clue about the desert racing but would like to check it out and maybe give it a try some day. Now I see why everyone goes to the dez, Did anyone here race? Its a six hour drive from here but I will definetly be back in a couple weeks, that place is AWESOME!!!!!! Mike in Modesto

All that and there is soooo much more. Cal city, jawbone, bean cyn, dove springs, Red mountain, Ransberg, Charlies wagon wheel and bonks just to name a few. I'm a die hard high dez fan and loving it..... :)

Glad you got to check it out. The dez is killer in the winter after a good rain isn't it? We rode Stoddard to Cougar Buttes to SlashX on Sat. The traction has been good all this winter, but I think this weekend was the absolute best! You can't get better than the dez after a good rain. :):):p

You hit it perfectly, some of the best conditions, saturday and sunday were epic days, I am spoiled, I live here, you were riding my home dirt.

It was a district 37 race, 4 Aces MC was the sponsoring club.

FYI- the area you were riding in is also called Wagon Wheel, Charlies Place, Spangler Hills all different names for the same area, Red Mountain/Randsburg/johanesburg(home of the Famous "Silver Dollar") is just south of there a few minutes.

Welcome to Dirtbike Heaven!!

One of the things I could not get enough of was opening the drz400 all the way up in top gear and holding it down for a minute or so, I was having so much fun I just laughed the whole way back, On top of all this jet fighters flying all over the place on thursday, WHAT A BLAST.

Welcome to desert riding! Sorry to hear you have to drive 6 hours though.

Ya guys, this trip will be running through my head for a while. It was quite a learning experience. Little things like where to find diesel, since the F-250 with the toy hauler was sucking down the petro come over the pass at 70 mph, how you can drive out in the dez without getting stuck, how you should NEVER ride up in those hills alone because if you got in a jam your ass could die!, and another thing, a dirt bike and a sand rail can unexpectedly meet up at high speed in the middle of nowhere. LOL The one thing that definetly wore my ass out was the trails with never ending supercross size woops, i could skip the top of the first 3-4 then drop down in and just about go over the bars. Those things were flat out exhausting. i thought that stadium woops were man made but now i know where they got the idea! A bunch of us that do the thanksgiving week at hollister trip are going to the dez next month (I may go back sooner). When i know a date, i will post so maybe I can hook up with you guys since im no longer a dez virgin. Six hours one way is a small price to pay for that experience. My wifes eyes were rolling last night when i went online to look for desert real estate listings, probably isnt as appealing in august though. Do any of you ride there in the summer? Thanks Mike in Modesto

I wont lie to ya, It gets REALLY hot in the summer.....Oh well thats what lights are for, Ride at night.

this weekend at 4 aces was great!! it was sooo beautiful in the desert. i love the dez, and after rain, it is so pristine. the smell of creosote after rain makes me sooo happy.

that was the first d37 race i've been to - i volunteered to help with it. so i got to watch the bomb run FROM the front of the bomb run!! it was amazing to see all those bikes barreling towards me at full throttle!! wooo-hoooo! and no dust!!

definitely love it out there.

Didnt hear anybody mention johnson valley. I have spent a fair amount of time there its been awsome this year so far with all the rain. :):)

that whole area is connected from giant rock in landers all the way to stoddard wells....means dry lake, soggy dry lake, boone road, johnson valley, camp rock road/cougar butte,...

i have ridden from giant rock all the way to slash X

great ride was tore-up after but man waht a blast...

plus i ride jawbone/dove springs often....

long live the desert!!!

Mike in Modesto-

Yup, we ride year around. Occasionally, it's a bit too hot to ride, but not often. Get some good vented gear, take a siesta from around 1 to 4 (with the A/C on in the trailer!) and hit it again in the late afternoon/evening. It doesn't get any better than a twilight ride followed by a big-ass bonfire, rum drinks, and cigars. The evenings are heaven. You can ride someplace different almost every weekend, and when it gets really stinkin hot, you can hit the higher elevations near Kennedy Meadows, Gorman, or even Bishop. Yes, tyhe high desert (Antelope and Victor Valleys) are even economically self sustaining now...no long commutes to work unless you wanna. Oh...and you're only an hour away from Perris, an hour and a half from Elsinore and star west, and 15 minutes from LACR if you like to moto. It really is dirt biker's paradise. Now if only we had a good Yamaha dealer here in Palmdale/Lancaster.

I ride out in cal city or dove springs year around. Africa hot comes to mind in summer time. The cool thing is if you start riding at daybreak you're pretty much done by the time it gets :):p really hot. Believe it or not 90 degrees is way more tolerable than 95. Much more than about 98 or 99 and my skinny ars just dies. :)

Ya guys sound a little warm, it get 100 plus here in the valley so we usually hit carnegie until noon then home. Should stay cool in the dez at least thru april right? Hey Rich thats a cool site, gotta tell ya I think Id just sit and let that group of goons go ahead, looks pretty intense. Like I said Ill post our next trip so maybe we can hook up. Thanks Mike in Modesto

in the summer months you can start rideing a little after 5:00am and 5-6 hours of rideing usually works me. If you stay the weekend you can rest till about 4:00 or 5:00pm then ride for another 3-4 hours. Great fun in the sun. Cal Dez is where it's at :)