Sign in to follow this  

spark plug torque question

This is a pretty idiotic question, considering it is way after the fact, but anyway...Replaced my stock plug with an Iridium the other day. My torque wrench was pretty much useless cosidering the placement and space of the plug. When I took off the stock plug , it broke easily but couldn't immediately loosen it with my fingers. Another 1 turn with the included plug wrench and a 14mm then I could remove it fine with my fingers. When I replaced it, I finger-tigtened it and was using the 14mm to snug it up. It took 3 twists (with some resistance, barely any) with the 14mm before it was actually snug. I mean the bike started right up no sweat, and I didn't use ANY unnecessary force on it, but I'm kind of a hamfist when it comes to these things. I think I'm just paranoid, but does this ring a bell with anyone? To me it felt ok, not like I manhandled it, but so many people know better than me. Nothing like good old hindsight....Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ps. also any suggestions for the right torque wrench to get for these kind of applications?

What ever you do, don't go nuts on the thing. You do not have to crank that thing down. Look in the book and see what it calls for, you should be able to get it close by hand. I always do mine without the tq wrench and I have never had a problem.

Thanks for the post! :) . I most definitely DID NOT lean on 'er, I'm just really paranoid because I've had some trouble not using a torque wrench in the past. But I'm guessing It'll be ok--It didn't feel tweaked. At least I won't have to change the plug for awhile (and I'll be twice as careful next time) barring any catastrophic incidents.