Sign in to follow this  

Valve Buckets...

Has anyone had problems with the valve buckets? Anyone running coated ones or just stockers? Is anybody other then WMR making hardened/ coated. Somebody said about them breaking easily, but I haven't seen any problems.

Kibblewhite also makes a set of hardened buckets. The stock ones on my rmz where just about gone after only 30 hours or so of riding. I would definately replace them if they show any wear....... They really destroy the head if they break while ridding the bike!! :)

we have 34hrs on our stock buckets and they have started to bee tight.

We beleive they are close to jam in the bore.

have orderdred DLC coated buckets and we will also replace all the other mooving parts and seats in the valvetrain while the top is open.

Dark circular marks on the inside of the buckets is the first sign that something is going on and soon they will be tight (its our opinion that valve float has overstressed our stock buckets) .lefa

I don't know if valve float would cause the bucket problems, it's more of a friction and heat issue. I have heard of brand new buckets breaking, so it could most definetly be a part quality issue also.

How do you know the buckets are getting tight???

How come the gsxr 1100 can run 50,000 mile,s with no problems on the buckets.

I think you guy got more money than brains.

They use the same valves as the rmz.they are set up the same way as the rmz.execpt the cam is longer operating more valves same principle.What's the deal is WMR has come out with a new product and he say this is your problem cant use stock buckets because they break you got to use my new one's for $389.00 that wil fix your problem. Last year he never mention this Just trying to make money.Lets see stock bucket $11.00 a piece total $44.00 vs $389.00 i just cant see it

How much are a set of Kibblewhite buckets?

To be quite honest with you I am not sure. I had the head completely redone with SS valves, springs, buckets and titanium retainers for $475 by Eric Gorr. This included a full cleaning of the head and the ceats being reserfaced. I know my bucket did not look good after only 30 hrs of really hard riding. my bike is raced at an intermediate level. it gets the crap run out of it. Also I had almost no clearance left on my valves by that point. thats why I am trying the SS route. There is no noticable loss of power with the SS goodies inside either. Seems to run ever bit as hard and rev just as quickly as stock. Call Eric at Forward Motion and ask him about the buckets. I would also suggest that you change the springs at the same time. The stock ones seem to wear out rather quickly letting the valves float and destroying your valves. His number is 1-630-289-5645 :)

They use the same valves as the rmz.they are set up the same way as the rmz.execpt the cam is longer operating more valves same principle.What's the deal is WMR has come out with a new product and he say this is your problem cant use stock buckets because they break you got to use my new one's for $389.00 that wil fix your problem. Last year he never mention this Just trying to make money.Lets see stock bucket $11.00 a piece total $44.00 vs $389.00 i just cant see it

then dont buy them.

there has been issues with the stock buckets.ive seen it personally.the buckets begin to distort and stick in the head.

as far as the gsxr being set up the same way,your only half right.same configuration?close.same opening and closing velocitys?nope.

I talked to the one guy at the shop I use and asked about the buckets. He said they break because of too much play. If your valve clearence is excessive it will kill your buckets. I am probably going to throw a new set of stock ones in. I looked at the kibblewhite web site and they only have sizes listed. For the $50 you spend on the stock ones, I'll just put a new set in once they show wear.

thats a goo idea and the way i would do it also.

but some guys dont like to change the oil let alone check the valve clearance or the buckets.

i use stock valve on hondas,but i also have no problem doing a valve job at the first sign of valve movement.

i was at the 05 suzuki new model tech update and the TSM was all up in arms becuase nobody is chaging the sump filter every 15 hours............

the 450 is the same set up.

I don't know if valve float would cause the bucket problems, it's more of a friction and heat issue. I have heard of brand new buckets breaking, so it could most definetly be a part quality issue also.

Yes, your right all these have influence, but so did the floating on our stock buckets.

my conclusions of the buckets getting tight is based on tests we made after 30+ hrs on the stock engine & parts.

We dynoed to find out of some the valve floating rates on old and new springs, and some jetting issues.

1) 7 runs with old stock springs

2) then we put in new springs and tested 6 more runs on the dyno.

during these tests the buckets was getting tight in the bore and close to stick.

Yes, we change full synthetic oil every 2-4hrs depending on riding. lefa

A GSXR had TWO piece valves in it? Buckets wearing out is COMMON problem on the RMZs have seen it many times, you are very mistaken about the Valvetrain being to same on a GSXR. If you think you are correct order Valves for a GSXR and put them in your RMZ head :)

A GSXR had TWO piece valves in it? Buckets wearing out is COMMON problem on the RMZs have seen it many times, you are very mistaken about the Valvetrain being to same on a GSXR. If you think you are correct order Valves for a GSXR and put them in your RMZ head :)

That is exactly what I was thinking. I just did not want to get into a pissing match with kd4pop. If I am not mistaken he is the one that told me that SS valves would not work well in my rmz. Wrong again... :p I have them in and there is no noticable difference in power or quickness of rev. I have about 4 hrs on it now and checked the valves and the clearances were all exactly what they were when installed!! :)

Ok, I checked on some specs and it looks like the valves that kd4pop took out of his street bike would fit. However...you have a valve that is too long for the KXF/RMZ head. So now you have to go get a GOOD machine shop or racing specialty shop to cut those valves down and machine a groove in them precisely where the stock ones are for the keepers. Yes they will work, but why would you go to ALL that hassle to get SS valves you can just buy already made? Plus if you go to that racing specialty shop you will pay almost the same. And as for texlobo, I thought he went with aftermarket SS valves and didn't hand make them. I remember following those posts for a few weeks. After all these ideas I think I'm going to just use a full stock valve train again. About the buckets getting tight, is this because of worn buckets, or problems where the buckets ride? This entire area is in a place that is well lubricated while running. So why would the buckets be getting tight? Has anyone done before and after measurements? I could see them possibly mushrooming around the edges due to the force put on them. Just some ideas... :)