Sign in to follow this  

05 RMZ Or 05 CRF

Rmz 450 or Crf 450? which would you buy? And come on, be honest, tell the true about the pros and cons about each. Any big problems so far with either bike? This is pretty much going to be telling me which bike to get?

It seems like lots of people are loving the rmz 450,but you are gambling with reliabilty. Who knows if they will have problems or not. Also resale will most likely not be as good,if that matters to you. Other than that pick your color and ride, you can't go wrong with either one. :)

I've got a new RMZ 450 that I can't even ride yet due to snow, but I have ridden an 05 CRF 450, pretty awesome bike, I've ridden Honda's for 9 years, but I chose the Suzuki cuz I just wanted to try yellow, always liked them, if the machine is as good as everyone says, I'll probably stay on one.

they have guys at that suzuki R&D department that put the bike through the paces and raced up more than 100 hours, they wanted to run them to point of breaking so they can see what may be a weak link in the bike. Good news...the bikes made it to 130+ hours With OUT maintainace before they showed any sign of malfunction.

Most Race thumpers need tender love and care, and a steady close intravel maintainance rutine... most SHOULD have new topends at least every 35-45 hours and valves checked every other ride...most people don't do this but they should.

Both bikes are very sound and all the rmz450 needs it a petcock re-location ($10.00)

I have only rode the 05 crf but if i had to chose i would get a suzuki.

I am not biast at all...i mean look at the picture by my post! :):p

look at these smileys...they don't lie

suzuki :D

honda :)

yzfwannabe...Have you even rode that thing in the dirt yet or just around in the driveway? I wanna see some pictures of your so called CRF... I think you actually have a pw 50 with diesel truck shocks on it.. That chit don't count for mx bro :) here is my 04' crf... Are you sure you have one of these things? hehehe

IMG_1184rtsidesize.jpg

Nice looking bikes guys, do you think YZFMXRACER likes red? hehehe I have been a die hard Yamaha fan since my first '80 YZ100 and I have owned a '99YZ400F since it was new but these new Suzuki's have me drooling over them. There is something to be said for how much fun a good handling bike is versus one that you have to wrestle around. Unless Yamaha really does something impressive for next year on the YZ450, this is one guy that will be looking hard at the RMZ next year. There is just something abut the single overhead cam setup that makes me nervous about the Honda's. Plus there are so many Hondas around that they just kind of all blend together.

Just got the new Transworld mag test on the RMZ 450. Heres the bottom line>

Quote: With great suspension, superb handling, and a solid powerplant. It seems Suzuki has succeeded in scoring a home run in its first at-bat in the big bore thumper category. :)

They also made note, it's the best turning motorcycle they have ever ridden 2 or 4 stroke. its more than just a new front tire,..... sorry Honda boys, looks like your gona see yellow on the inside line :):p

Rmz 450 or Crf 450? which would you buy? And come on, be honest, tell the true about the pros and cons about each. Any big problems so far with either bike? This is pretty much going to be telling me which bike to get?

Why not consider a YZ 450? All of the hype following the RMZ and good magazine tests for the CRF will also increase the price. In my opinion they are all good bikes. You may save some $ by bying a YZ and be just as happy. I have been on CRF's and of course my YZF, they are very different but it all depends on what you are used to. The CRF felt smaller and more nimble to me but I was not used to that feel and opted for the stability of my YZ. If I owned the CRF I would probably say that the YZF was big and not nimble enough.

do you think that even the new fork on the yz's is still behind the showas that come on the honda and zook?? i thought that the new fork gave it a seperate damper fluid like the showas?? i could be wrong but i was just asking you seem to have more info than i do on the new yz fork.

OK guys here is the scoop, right now in my garage I have an 05 CRF450 and an 05 RMZ450. My CRF is all stock with @ 6 hrs or less. I have had Pro Action revalve the front and rear for me. The RMZ is new. I took both of the bikes to the track and rode the CRF first (what I was used to) then rode the RMZ. I continued to swap back and forth on the two bikes hunting for any weakness the bikes had.

I was a little worried about handling with the RMZ because of how tall it felt in the seat compared to the CRF. Once I got on the track my first impression of the RMZ was, well....it felt almost exactly like my CRF.

The RMZ starts easier hot and cold than the CRF.

It also cornered better in the tight stuff, even with stock suspension. My CRF has a tendancy to climb out of ruts and the RMZ sailed right through them.

I did get a little headshake on the RMZ at the end of a few of the straights but nothing to bad.

The RMZ did not rev out as far as the CRF but every where else I could not tell the two bikes apart. This only bothered me on long straights when I would have to upshift on the RMZ instead of letting it rev.

The RMZ feels lighter in the air and is easier to manipulate. This amazed me because my 05 CRF felt so light and nimble compared to my 04 CRF450.

I hate the bar bend on the RMZ. They were very narrow for me and swept back more than I like. It is too bad to because the fat bars are a plus on a stock bike. But this is the very first thing I am going to change.

All in all I am very impressed with the RMZ and I felt right at home on it. Kudos to Suzuki for getting it right (even though it took a while to get). I think either way you go on bike selection you end up with a great bike. I will end up racing the RMZ to combat the sea of Red bikes at my track every week.

Oh yea by the way my 05 CRF450 is for sale. $5500

Shawn

I couldn't agree with you more on your assesment of the RMZ....I just put a FMF slip on on my RMZ and finally got an oil filter!!! funny about that we had some great mechanic debates about the RMZ 250 filter working in the 450...fact is hell yes it works fine. I put in an aftermarket "hiflow" 250 filter cuz I couldnt wait anymore. I agree on the height...a little tough at first but boy its gone when your moving. So far an awesome bike...I am pretty darn pleased so far....hope the parts are easier to get than the oil filter...

if you guys dont start playing nice im going to start pulling the plug on these threads......

C'mon, that's half the fun.

The CRF is king right now. However, the RMZ is a great bike, and not far behind. I'd love to have one as an addition. From the mag articles, the RMZ seems to be more of a bottom end performer. The CRF is said to have a wider powerband. I say, match a bike to your riding style. In the end, if you can win on one, you can win on the other. Nobody makes junk any more.